Cateye Strada Smart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick1836

Über Member
Along with a new road bike back in February last year I also had the bike dealer supply and fit a Cateye Strada Smart CC-RD500B this is a computer that records cadence and heart rate as well as speed & mileage however I have rarely had all three functions work during a ride the least being the cadence.

Just for the record I also ride a MTB that also has a wireless Cateye Velo CC-VT200W which works perfectly, I use the Strada Smart in mirror mode via my iphone smartphone app.

The Strada Smart's further problems are that the speed & distance display freezes and reads zero mph then after several minuets resumes along with the correct mileage.

Any other CC member with the same Cateye computer having or had similar problems?

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've got a Strada Smart - they're finicky blighters aren't they :laugh: I can generally get it all working ok quite quickly but every so often it won't sync with my phone and I have to reset it via the buttons on the back. Also as you say it has a tendency to freeze on occasion, more often than not normal service is resumed at some point down the road :laugh: I came to the conclusion it was the app playing up rather than the computer as since I've replaced my phone it seems to be behaving itself a little better. This may of course be in my imagination :okay:

I've learnt to live with it's foibles as otherwise its quite handy. No wires means it's easily shared between 5 bikes and the battery tends to last several months between changes. I'm waiting on delivery of a Hammerhead Karoo GPS device which will take over computer duties on the road bikes but I will keep the Strada for the commuter and mountain bikes :smile:

OP
OP
mick1836

mick1836

Über Member
Thanks JhnBssll for that reply, I was beginning to think I was the only owner of a Cateye Strada Smart CC-RD500B :laugh: For some strange reason the freezing appears to occur more at the very start of the ride and yesterday I noted that although the speed read zero the trip milometer continued to increase as I rode. Also for the record I'm using an iphone 6 on iOS 11.2.2 May in near future upgrade the phone to iphone 8+

Top Bottom