Cateye Strada Wireless Computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I've also found after this morning's commute to be gentler with releasing the unit from the holder as I reset all the counters by accident due to the pressure on the mode button DOH! Luckily I took notice of my travel time to make sure I stayed under my target time of 25 mins. Unfortunately have no idea on distance, speed etc. Lesson learned lol

Fortunately, there is a facility on the cateye micro to input a new figure for mileage if it interests you sufficiently. No idea how like, i've never tried :whistle:

garyZ

One other thing to think about (and it is stating the bl**din obvious after the event!). I have fitted my first wireless computer to my new roadbike, a cateye micro wireless. Recently I had to abort the afternoon school run due to car problems but no problem, it was a sunny afternoon so I jumped on said new bike and cycled up to the school so we could all walk home together. Not wanting to clock the mileage on the return trip as I pushed the bike along I unclipped the head unit and popped it in my pocket. I was momentarily confused then instantly went in to duh! mode when I saw it had still clocked the home trip and realised that of course it would register the distance while sitting in my pocket unless i moved some way away from the bike transmitter :rolleyes:

Found this post when I was looking for a way to turn off my new Strada wireless. My cycling routine (for fitness mostly) is to ride out for a while to a local seaside tourist area, then walk my bike along the sea front and back for about 20 minutes, then ride back. After breaking the wire to the mount on my old CatEye MITY3 for the second time in a couple of months (the second time I cut it when I was trying to cut the zip ties - embarassing), I decided I needed to just go wireless. When I used the wired computer, I would simply remove it for my walk. You can guess what happened. I removed the Strada the first time I rode out and walked -duh. It doesn't just clock the mileage while I'm walking my bike, but it clocks the speed, messing up my average speed record too. What to do?

Wrote to the company to ask about turning it off. Not possible. I tried wrapping the computer in aluminum foil, but that didn't work. (It did, however, keep the aliens and government from reading the computer's mind!) Then I got an idea. A while ago aluminum "wallets" were advertised here (southern California), with the feature that they block RFID signals. Found one on Amazon for about six dollars and figured it was worth a try. Unfortunately, these things come with accordian-like credit card pockets inside, which prevented the Strada from fitting inside. The accordian was easy to peel out - held in with a sort of rubber cement. After that, the Strada fit in snugly, but not so snugly that the mode button was pushed. I gave it a try at home, just hand-spinning the front wheel of the bike, and it seemed to work to block the signals! So today I went on my usual ride. Checked the mileage when I stopped at the half way point, put the computer in the wallet, and the wallet in my left pants pocket (farthest from the sensor). After my 20 minute walk, when I was ready to head back home, I pulled the computer out to reattach to the mount. It was still at exactly the mileage it had when I stopped. Now I am a happy camper - er, rider.

I hope this can help other folks who might want to prevent the wireless computer from reading the wheel spins temporarily while walking their bikes. I was so happy with it, I want to spread the knowledge.

Top Bottom