Cateye Strada Wireless Computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alexvs

Hi all,

Probably a silly question but I've just bought myself the mentioned computer and was just wondering if anyone can tell me how you turn it off or even if it does turn off? I've read the instructions but all it says is that it goes into power saving mode after 10 minutes of not using it, leaving the clock on or sleep mode after 2 weeks. This seems crazy for it to always be on or is it just me and it doesn't actually matter?

Thanks

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It just goes into power saving mode automatically. The battery life for the pick-up and display is over a year. Relax!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Thanks to both of you, I guess I'm used to things with an off button
blush.gif

I love the computer though, knowing how fast you're going and distance you're travelling is motivation in itself. Didn't think I was going 10mph let alone 24.8mph
biggrin.gif

gbs

Guru
Alexvs, apologies if this is seen as a hijack of yr thread. I have used this computer on two road bikes and both suffer from intermittent speed displays.

On one bike the symptom appeared after 6 months; the LBS supplied a replacement but that failed. The manufacturer supplied a second replacement and after a trouble free month or so I have the same problem.

On my other bike the problem has emerged appeared after about 12 months usage.

The LBS says these are normally reliable units. So, am I unlucky or is intermittent display a common problem?

PS: both units were installed by the LBS and both have adequate battery power.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Alex,

I've also got one and no problems to report.

But I read that the computer can suffer interference if you'd got certain lights on your handlebars - Cateye's manual also states this

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Moodyman,

It's performing well so far and no problems with my light I'm currently using but a decent front light is the next thing on my shopping list as mine barely reaches in front of my tyre so useless on the pitch black section of redway I ride on.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Moodyman,

It's performing well so far and no problems with my light I'm currently using but a decent front light is the next thing on my shopping list as mine barely reaches in front of my tyre so useless on the pitch black section of redway I ride on.
I've got a Hope Vision 1 right next to my Strada and it works fine.

Hi all,

Probably a silly question but I've just bought myself the mentioned computer and was just wondering if anyone can tell me how you turn it off or even if it does turn off? I've read the instructions but all it says is that it goes into power saving mode after 10 minutes of not using it, leaving the clock on or sleep mode after 2 weeks. This seems crazy for it to always be on or is it just me and it doesn't actually matter?

Thanks

Others have sorted the on/off for you.

One thing to watch with these (and they are good computers) is the fitting into the holder. Make sure you really click the head unit into place - otherwise they jump out - which mine helpfully did 400m after I'd changed both batteries. I never did find it in the long grass beside a busy road. So, I lost one computer and the new batteries........

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
One other thing to think about (and it is stating the bl**din obvious after the event!). I have fitted my first wireless computer to my new roadbike, a cateye micro wireless. Recently I had to abort the afternoon school run due to car problems but no problem, it was a sunny afternoon so I jumped on said new bike and cycled up to the school so we could all walk home together. Not wanting to clock the mileage on the return trip as I pushed the bike along I unclipped the head unit and popped it in my pocket. I was momentarily confused then instantly went in to duh! mode when I saw it had still clocked the home trip and realised that of course it would register the distance while sitting in my pocket unless i moved some way away from the bike transmitter :rolleyes:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I now have two bikes, and have a Strada on each of them. Yes, I know it sounds wildly extravagant, but the cost of a "second bike" kit is only a few pounds different from getting a complete kit, and you don't have to type in the wheel parameters when you swap over the computer. A while ago, I put the bikes side by side and tested to see if one bike's sender would be picked up by the adjacent bike's display unit. The answer is YES. If the bikes are closer than about two feet laterally, and you are very friendly with the rider alongside, your speeds will appear approximately double the true one.

You do however have to be very close.

gbs

Guru
But I read that the computer can suffer interference if you'd got certain lights on your handlebars - Cateye's manual also states this

The manual refers to "some battery lights" - not v helpful, IMO. I do not see how this can be an explanation of intermittent failure.

Their agent in the UK had no suggestion to offer at the time of replacement of the faulty units.

I think I should ask for a refund re both units. I could not see a reference to warranty period.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

I've also found after this morning's commute to be gentler with releasing the unit from the holder as I reset all the counters by accident due to the pressure on the mode button DOH! Luckily I took notice of my travel time to make sure I stayed under my target time of 25 mins. Unfortunately have no idea on distance, speed etc. Lesson learned lol

Top Bottom