Reynolds 953 holdworth strada

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fairlight PSB

Fairlight PSB

I think I’d object more to the hideously inappropriate wheels but I guess it will appeal to some.Hope your used model doesn’t have them @Fairlight PSB .
I think you could buy a Holdsworth 953 in complete confidence without having read a single word about them but it might be worth checking out frames with a similar geometry and compare it with something you’ve ridden to see if it suits your style.
if you want to read a review here’s one from Bike Radar:
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/holdsworth-strada-review/

and yet from bikeradar about the wheels ...!

The complete bike price is high, but it’s still impressive that it includes a Fulcrum Racing Zero wheelset with ceramic bearings, something guaranteed to lift the performance of any bike.

My large model weighs 7.88kg, possibly because of its large cassette and alloy bar, and on the road its low mass shows. The effect the Fulcrums have on performance is considerable, their thick, bladed spokes, milled rims and rigidity guarantee slick progress. Hutchinson’s Fusion 5 25mm tyres roll well and offer decent grip.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’d doubt the effect the Fulcrums and their ceramic bearings have on performance is ‘ considerable’ but if you are racing then they may well give you an edge. Bike magazines do tend to ‘over egg the cake’ :smile:. I was just commenting on them from the point of their incongruous nature on a traditional steel framed bike.

OP
OP
Fairlight PSB

Fairlight PSB

I’d doubt the effect the Fulcrums and their ceramic bearings have on performance is ‘ considerable’ but if you are racing then they may well give you an edge. Bike magazines do tend to ‘over egg the cake’ :smile:. I was just commenting on them from the point of their incongruous nature on a traditional steel framed bike.

I tend to take with a pinch of salt some of the reviews alright

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

It's all a load of shite, it belongs in the same trash can as all the bollocks these reviewers come out with like "laterally stiff yet vertically compliant" when referring to the latest wonder carbon frame they're riding which supposedly has some special grade of CF matting and a miracle layup.
The wheels look ugly and ungainly on a steel frame. Even if the ceramic bearings saved you 1 watt of drag, and the rims are super light, they are also a super eyesore and will constantly detract from the appearance of any frame they are fitted to.

Chubby

I'm a proud owner of one of these bikes. Whilst I don't mind those sleek looking carbon jobs that pass me (down to my lack of ability, definitely not the bike), I love its retro ish looks and it's fun to ride - surely the point of cycling for recreation? And as a Brucie Bonus, it's British designed and built with British steel.

I'm a proud owner of one of these bikes. Whilst I don't mind those sleek looking carbon jobs that pass me (down to my lack of ability, definitely not the bike), I love its retro ish looks and it's fun to ride - surely the point of cycling for recreation? And as a Brucie Bonus, it's British designed and built with British steel.
Minor nit-pick, it’s not British steel, the steel comes from Carpenters‘ in the USA.

OP
OP
Fairlight PSB

Fairlight PSB

@Fairlight PSB did you buy it in the end? Lovely, pretty and rare bikes those.
Yes I did indeed last year . It’s definitely a different ride quality to titanium which I had previously

Top Bottom