Cateye velo 8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bickers

My cat eye velo 8 has stopped working. The battery is ok but it won't function when I start riding does any one know why

Grasen

because its sunday - the day of rest ?

I have had so many computers that have died on me.
thats why I just buy cheap ones and ditch them when they stop working
but then again I only use them to see how far I have ridden

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
My cat eye velo 8 has stopped working. The battery is ok but it won't function when I start riding does any one know why

You checked your wires to your wheels? is it clipped in ok? mine stopped working while out the other day when it fell off and bounced along the road realised it hadn't been clipped in properly! thankfully its still working

1) The magnet on the spoke might not be aligned or close enough to the sensor on the fork. You can usually hear the switch in the sensor make a faint click as the magnet goes past. Turn the wheel slowly by hand with you ear near the sensor to see if you can hear it click.

2) Get a bit of wire, paper click etc, and use it to intermittently short together the connections on the back of the computer. This mimics the sensor and so your computer should change display as if you were riding. If the computer doesn't show anything happening this would imply the computer isn't working properly.

3) If (1) and (2) are okay maybe the wire from the sensor to the mount has fractured. You can only sensible test this with a DVM or such like by measuring the resistance across the computer mount contacts and seeing it go from open circuit to (near enough) zero as the sensor switch closes and opens again as the magnet goes past.

battered

Guru
The way it works is that every time the magnet goes past the pickup it uperates a switch in the pickup, this is wored to the computer holder and the computer counts the switch operations.

1. Ensure the pickup and the magnet are VERY close together, then waggle the bike back and forth so the pickup is going past the magnet. Look for life in the computer. This usually fixes it.

2. If no joy, then remove the comp from the holder and get a short length of wire, a paper clip etc. Use this to short across the little metal pips, then remove the wire and put it back on a few times for say 15 secs. If the computer is working it will register a speed.

3. If your comp will not count the switch operations, it's dead. If it does then you may have a broken wire to the holder (very common, sadly) and you need an electrical test meter (Maplin, £5) to test this.

If it's where the wire goes into the holder then the way to prevent this in future is to take an electrical tie and tie the wire very firmly to the handlebars so that the wire doesn't waggle about, get caught etc.

These are your 3 commonest failures. I've had each of them and buy the same model of computer for all my bikes so I can interchange parts when they break, but I'm geeky like that.

adscrim

Veteran
My velo 5 stops working every now and then, clock is on nothing else happening. A wipe of the contacts normally works. I saw some advice about adding a little vaseline to the contact area.

The way it works is that every time the magnet goes past the pickup it uperates a switch in the pickup, this is wored to the computer holder and the computer counts the switch operations.

1. Ensure the pickup and the magnet are VERY close together, then waggle the bike back and forth so the pickup is going past the magnet. Look for life in the computer. This usually fixes it.

2. If no joy, then remove the comp from the holder and get a short length of wire, a paper clip etc. Use this to short across the little metal pips, then remove the wire and put it back on a few times for say 15 secs. If the computer is working it will register a speed.

3. If your comp will not count the switch operations, it's dead. If it does then you may have a broken wire to the holder (very common, sadly) and you need an electrical test meter (Maplin, £5) to test this.

If it's where the wire goes into the holder then the way to prevent this in future is to take an electrical tie and tie the wire very firmly to the handlebars so that the wire doesn't waggle about, get caught etc.

These are your 3 commonest failures. I've had each of them and buy the same model of computer for all my bikes so I can interchange parts when they break, but I'm geeky like that.

Excellent, if only I had thought of those suggestions....Oh...hang on...

1) The magnet on the spoke might not be aligned or close enough to the sensor on the fork. You can usually hear the switch in the sensor make a faint click as the magnet goes past. Turn the wheel slowly by hand with you ear near the sensor to see if you can hear it click.

2) Get a bit of wire, paper click etc, and use it to intermittently short together the connections on the back of the computer. This mimics the sensor and so your computer should change display as if you were riding. If the computer doesn't show anything happening this would imply the computer isn't working properly.

3) If (1) and (2) are okay maybe the wire from the sensor to the mount has fractured. You can only sensible test this with a DVM or such like by measuring the resistance across the computer mount contacts and seeing it go from open circuit to (near enough) zero as the sensor switch closes and opens again as the magnet goes past.

Top Bottom