Cateye volt 300 corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
My old Cateye volt 300 although working fine has some corrosion or reaction on the alloy body next to the lens.Does anyone know how to get the alloy body and lens/switch unit separated.Inside the body there are two plastic bits sticking up into the battery bit.Could these be release levers of some type.
Please excuse the pics but it shows the corrosion which I want to treat.
20170909_135129.jpg
20170909_135124.jpg

bpsmith

Veteran
Can't answer your question, as not got around to it myself yet, but mine is exactly the same. I thought it was just me that had not washed the grit off it last year.

Sharky

Guru
Just checked mine, no sign of corrosion yet, but since I stopped commuting doesnt get exposed to really bad conditions.

Great lights.

adamhearn

Veteran
I don't have one but I would have thought that the lens has been sealed into the body to prevent water ingress. Should that be correct it's almost certainly going to be destructive to remove it. I'd just touch it up in situ by rubbing down the corrosion (emery paper) then painting (brush if you've got a steady hand or spray if you can mask off the lens).

OP
OP
wisdom

wisdom

Guru
I don't have one but I would have thought that the lens has been sealed into the body to prevent water ingress. Should that be correct it's almost certainly going to be destructive to remove it. I'd just touch it up in situ by rubbing down the corrosion (emery paper) then painting (brush if you've got a steady hand or spray if you can mask off the lens).
Yes I think you could be right.
I'll go down that route.Cant complain about the light at all it's gone through 3 very wet winters on the daily commute.

Sharky

Guru
Just to add, I have the light hanging under the bars. Gives me more room on top of the bars. Probably nothing to do with corrosion affects, but if you tried it this way, the corroded section on yours might not get any worse. A smear of vaseline might help to protect.

Top Bottom