Catrike Shortened mudguard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulM

Guru
Because it broke off!! Just shows you how much vibration there is with a Durano tyre and a rigid frame.

The mudguard stay kept breaking away from the mudguard. I had reattached it twice to different places. This time, a few weeks later, the whole mudguard sheared through. So I've had to reattach the stays again to what's left. I wonder how long it witll be before it happens again. These are the Planet X fenders with plastic adjustable mounts. A grub screw fixes the plastic mount to the fender - but it seems to destroy the guard over time and with the vibration.

Still loving the 700 though. When hill climbing it feels like I'm dancing on the pedals. The seat angle and BB postion suit me well ^_^

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Mudguards can be glued together with superglue :okay:, then add some gaffer/ Duck tape strengthen it and it should last a bit longer.

I've had the rear mudguard break in a couple of places on my [rear sus] Nazca Fuego but found that the stays were putting too much tension on the guard itself. I find it is important to attach the mudguard first, then position (bend, lengthen etc) the stays to fit to the attaching points on the mudguard. This means that there is no tension on the mudguard nor the stays - they are both 'relaxed' ... if that makes sense. Previously, my mudguards were being 'made' to fit to the stays, rather than the other way round. Seems to be working for now .... :unsure:

HTH :smile:

On the expedition
I have SKS chromoplastic and a small bent metal strip at the frame fixing to act as an absorber

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Have you tried fitting a couple of soft washers either side of the holes to lessen the vibrations? On my Catrike 700 I did this to stop rattles, but also the mudguards never broke.....despite 5,000 miles on pretty naff roads.

Top Bottom