Catrike Villager - Thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
4125840_20.jpeg

2316a85_20.jpeg

0650ci5_20.jpeg

Whilst my medium term intention (sometime in the second half of next year) is to purchase a Sinner Mango Sport RE, in the short term I wouldn't mind trying out recumbent riding (trike) and by chance a Catrike Villager has come up for sale locally with a trailer and odds and ends. The asking price is AU$2,000 which equates to £1300 or US$2,100.

The riding that I would do with a trike is a daily commuting which is 42 km/~ 26 m each way (a mix of shared use path and city roads), Audax riding (200 km + / 125 m) rides but not in mountains - we only have hills here) and maybe some on-road touring ( I will still have my Surly Long Haul Trucker anyway).

The commuter riding involves riding the full 42 km/26 m home in a serious headwind (Fremantle Doctor - gusts around 50 km/h are normal which is about 27 knots/30 mph) which I cop directly off the ocean so no buffering.

So my first up question is should I expect to get a better performance speed wise with a similar effort into the wind compared to my riding my diamond frame? On a really good day home into the wind I might average 22 km/h/13 mph at the moment.

Would you consider the Catrike Villager a suitable trike for my intend riding given it will only used for no more than 12 months and then sold? Given my intention to get a Sinner Mango I really wouldn't want to pay more than AU$2,000 for trike anyway.

Good value assuming that the trike is in as a good condition as suggested?

Anything I should look for when I look at it the trike? I am experienced with bicycles but not trikes.

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Had a catrike 700 find you have to try them out to make sure you are comfortable etc. Got to say it looks in good condition and a fair price, Ride it and see what you think ! Catrikes have a good following and I enjoyed riding mine, even if you sell later on , you will have had loads of fun being a trikepilot.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I doubt you'd see any improvement on a Villager over a df bike. It's like a 3 wheel version of a mountain bike. My average speed on the Ice Trice S (more like a 3 wheel version of a road bike) is exactly the same as on my df Specialized Allez (both 16.5 mph ave), and the Trice is a fair bit 'sportier' then a Villager. The only way you'll beat a df bike is on a really sporty trike. My Catrike 700 (18mph ave) is 10% faster than I could manage on the roadbike over a 12 mile commute........but 90% more fun!

If it's speed your after, I think you may be disappointed with the short wheelbase Villager, although it may be marginally quicker into a strong headwind.

I have no idea what prices Catrike fetch in Australia, but if you get a good deal, you shouldn't lose much (if any) money when you come to sell. 'Bents hold their 2nd hand values very well. If I were you, I'd try and get a decent test ride before purchase. If you love riding it then buy it!

As for what to look for, mostly the same as on a normal bike. Check the disc brakes/bearings/cassette/chainrings etc etc. Then make sure the bottom of the cruciform hasn't taken a major whack form dropping off a kerb, and bear in mind that if the chain needs replacing you have to buy three! Looking at the pics, the seller seems to take care of his machines, that''s one tidy table!

Top Bottom