cats....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
So my 12 yr old nearly blind partially deaf Border Terrier was happily enjoying the sunshine in the garden minding her own business...
then over the fence comes one of next doors cats......
which decided to try and remove my little dogs eye...
dog is now at the vets who are trying to decide what to do with the appaling injury..poor sod nearly collaped with pain..had a fit..
ive told the vet the super expensive surgery that requires a referal is not going to happen ..dogs too old and im not paying 1000's..for something that may just end up with the eye being taken out...

Hopefully today wont be a good bye old friend day...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Poor bugger.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sorry to hear that. How blind was the dog to start with? Might not affect him that much if the operation goes ok. Still not nice for the dog though.

And what did the owners of the cat have to say?

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sorry to hear that. How blind was the dog to start with? Might not affect him that much if the operation goes ok. Still not nice for the dog though.

And what did the owners of the cat have to say?

having an eye removed would be very traumatic , my mother said it was the most painful sickening awful few weeks of her life..so i dont want to put the dog through that really...
as for the neighbor? what can i do...cats are a bloody nuisance crapping in our garden ...yowling at night..etc etc..
The neighbor is a single mega stressed useless Walter Mitty type woman with 2 obnoxious teenagers and 3 bloody cats..there were 4 but i think someone or something killed that.
ill have to watch the wife as she is chomping at the bit at work ...i guess we will be falling out with next door neighbor at 5.15pm sharp today...peace and quiet ..not a chance..:banghead: ahh well at least i wont get asked to help with odd heavy jobs , so that's a good thing..silver lining:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Is your dog insured? I dont want to sound harsh but for a few pounds per month all this would be covered bar a small excess. I hope your dog recovers.

she was insured untill the insurance became too much..about 2 yr ago.
ive paid about 4k in cover over the life of the dog and claimed about a grand maybe 1500 for a couple of injuries..
Ive noticed treatment is far cheaper when their Not insured..
ie mums dog had a tooth out that cost 180 cash...my dog had one out with insurance..420!!!
i cant remember exact figures but a big difference...

we decided a while ago that insurance wont be used again..we will simply put 50 quid a month into a savings fund... they want 60 a month for my dog now..balls to em

Milkfloat

An Peanut
[QUOTE 4255521, member: 9609"]I get sick of cats coming into my garden trying to kill the birds, if I was to let my dog go into someone else's garden there would be hell to pay, but people with cats seem to think it is acceptable to let their horrid little monsters do whatever they want.

@User46386 mentioned was the dog insured; well how about the cats owners taking responsibility for their cat and picking up the vets fees, may be the cat is insured for the damage it does.[/QUOTE]

Cats are classed as “free-roaming” animals therefore legally I think they are off the hook. Morally, the cat owner should pay.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 4255521, member: 9609"]I get sick of cats coming into my garden trying to kill the birds, if I was to let my dog go into someone else's garden there would be hell to pay, but people with cats seem to think it is acceptable to let their horrid little monsters do whatever they want.

@User46386 mentioned was the dog insured; well how about the cats owners taking responsibility for their cat and picking up the vets fees, may be the cat is insured for the damage it does.[/QUOTE]

thats now my biggest fear..
if the dog gets better...how long untill this cat does it again..i was standing in the kitchen looking at the dog when the cat attacked...
bit of a dilemma..

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Cats are classed a 'wild animals' in relation to certain parts of the law (whereas dogs are classed as domesticated animals). However, contrary to popular misconception, that doesn't absolve their owners from liability for the actions of their pets. Cat owners do have a general duty to take reasonable care to ensure that their cats do not cause injury to people or damage to property.

Cat owners could be held liable if their cats are responsible for a statutory nuisance (e.g. under the Environmental Protection Act 1990). Private individuals could also take action against a cat's owner for a private nuisance - i.e. if the pet causes injury or damage.

So what duty of care is there? I can understand not training your cat to attack, or in the case of poop, making sure to provide a litter tray, but I don't see how a one off incident can be seen as a lack of duty of care on the part of the owner.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Cats are classed a 'wild animals' in relation to certain parts of the law (whereas dogs are classed as domesticated animals). However, contrary to popular misconception, that doesn't absolve their owners from liability for the actions of their pets. Cat owners do have a general duty to take reasonable care to ensure that their cats do not cause injury to people or damage to property.

Cat owners could be held liable if their cats are responsible for a statutory nuisance (e.g. under the Environmental Protection Act 1990). Private individuals could also take action against a cat's owner for a private nuisance - i.e. if the pet causes injury or damage.

to be honest @User the lass next door has had more than her fair share of misfortune..
i wouldn't dream of causing her any financial or legal pain..
its just one of those nasty things that happen with cats and dogs..

the wife thinks we need to make the decision...tough one but i cant be doing with the dog suffering..
she's had a good life and now its all going horrible for her..
we shall see what happens later..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hold on a minute.

Unless this cat is a Tom, they won't attack a dog, unless threatened. A dog isn't prey. Your poor dog may not have realised how close he may have got to the cat.

If the cat is a Tom (still got is knadgers) then that's different, and it should be done as they are bloody horrible and smelly animals to keep - a neighbour's TOM was always covered in cuts etc.

Need to check out the cat/owner. Don't blame all us responsible cat owners please.... Our cat craps in our raised veg beds, as the soil is good. Everyone else has rubbish gardens.

You might need to challenge the neighbour -you'll know the cat. I've had lots of dogs and had 3 cats - ours would never attack a dog, they run.

Top Bottom