Cattle grids how to ride them on a road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
They're seldom a problem if you're sensible. The only difficult ones are uphill when it's wet. As for bottoming on the rim, tyre's too soft.

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

but there are round barred ones on Exmoor which are very nasty.

There all round bars round here lots on busy'ish roads so there polished too. Like this one fine when its dry, its in a dip so you get plenty of rain run off from the fells above for hours after the rain has stopped.

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

This a close up of the same grid shows the profile of the bars, pointy with nice exposed sharp ends to the longitudinal supports.
DSCF4896.JPG

Nebulous

Guru
I did a sportive last year in the wet and slid on a cattle grid fairly early on, but recovered ok. Several people fell off and it finished a couple of them right away. Since then my approach has been - square on to the bars, medium speed, stay seated and relaxed and don't pedal!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've got one on a climb near me, can take it as low as 5mph without a problem, it has flat beams though and not rounded bars.

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
This a close up of the same grid shows the profile of the bars, pointy with nice exposed sharp ends to the longitudinal supports.
DSCF4896.JPG
Oh thats a fave view!! Love Coniston. Not ridden over it but have run over it when I did the Coniston 14 earlier this year. Oh and I always walk over cattle grids because I'm a total wuss while hubby just flies straight over them.

Top Bottom