Cattle grids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Whatever happened to the advice to travel only at a speed where you can stop in the distance you can see to be safe? Nobody is being forced to ride into bike damaging or injury inducing features at speed and exercising some caution is all that is needed to avoid the self-inflicted consequences.

Whatever happened to the presumption of preventing proactive pompous pontification?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Whatever happened to the advice to travel only at a speed where you can stop in the distance you can see to be safe? Nobody is being forced to ride into bike damaging or injury inducing features at speed and exercising some caution is all that is needed to avoid the self-inflicted consequences.

This is why a man with a red flag always walks in front of me.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sorry if this upsets you at a deep moral and ethical level: but the long-standing convention in most of the Western World is to fix safety issues on our highways and byways. [the detail is somewhat more complex than that - but that's the general principle!]

Broken Stuff is usually a prime candidate for such repairs.

what about horses?

I was rounding a LH corner the other day and spotted a horse nose emerging into view so slowed up.....just as two more came into view, one fully on my side of the road :wacko:. They aren't exactly quick to get back to their own side of the road either.

I'm with @I like Skol, being able to stop within the distance you can see is quite sensible.

what about horses?

I was rounding a LH corner the other day and spotted a horse nose emerging into view so slowed up.....just as two more came into view, one fully on my side of the road :wacko:. They aren't exactly quick to get back to their own side of the road either.

I'm with @I like Skol, being able to stop within the distance you can see is quite sensible.

I am aware of horses. And like you, I have seen them in the road.
And I didn't dispute your last statement [I put it in bold, to help us all].

Happy? Or is that too complicated - 'Skol certainly seemed to struggle with it, bless 'im!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I am aware of horses. And like you, I have seen them in the road.
And I didn't dispute your last statement [I put it in bold, to help us all].

Happy? Or is that too complicated - 'Skol certainly seemed to struggle with it, bless 'im!

Jog on nobber!:laugh:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
There are two grids on a route that I take perhaps twice a year and I always carry my bike over it. Cycling in trainers does have some advantages.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I never ride over them for some reason.

iandg

Legendary Member
This one on the Crossbost road out of Stornoway has brought a few riders off. I think it's because the road isn't straight and a lot of riders are still leaning when they cross it.

2022-05-20.png

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Been over loads of cattle grids in the Peak District. Providing you hit them perpendicularly and at reasonable speed, never had any issue.

This one on Wessenden Head is the only one I know that needs care. Very fast descent, 40+, the grid is on an S bend and by the time you see it, you can't get enough speed off.

Screenshot_20220529-171343_Maps.jpg

Milzy

Guru
On sportives you seem to get them at the bottom of a super fast hill & I only bleed off a bit of speed. Not good for tubeless set ups, no inner tube to deflect the shock from the tire shoulders.

Top Bottom