Cattle Market Road Bristol is closed to traffic...numpties!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
This morning on my commute through here, yet another HGV driver who either ignored the R-O-A-D C-L-O-S-E-D sign or paid too much attention to his satnav, came to a grinding halt at the Heras fencing. Then proceeded to do a U-turn that meant driving over the brand new segregated cyclepath (rubbish brick pavers), leaving nice black tyre marks all over it and no doubt damaging the pavers, usually based on sand.

For those who don't know this route, it can be still cycled and will be shut until August. I have also seen frustrated car drivers caught in our in our infamous congestion (according to local rag readership, caused by cyclists and bus lanes, never too many cars), speeding down this road only to have to U turn. Is the 'Road' or 'Closed' bit causing the confusion:blush:?. Answers on a postcard......

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can believe that all too well. If it's near their destination, it seems their brain may have already arrived. HGV drivers are worked too hard.

There is a church near me. It has now put up a sign on the corner of its turning saying "COOLSTAK → 200 yards" (and the arrow is big, taking up the middle line on its own) to try to discourage HGV drivers turning left into the church entrance instead of the warehouse entrance two or three turnings further on. The church's road gates are now shut and locked between services. Despite the sign, I still see about an attempt to drive into the church most days!

There is no opportunity for HGVs to turn around, so they have to reverse back out around the corner onto the A10, causing the sort of disruption you'd expect. Some used to drive across the grass on the corner, which was destroying the path and kerb so there are now bollards and a new laurel hedge to discourage that.

I'm not sure this one can be explained by blind satnav obedience, as any I've tried gets the warehouse location right. I suspect some drivers are told it's on the left after a particular road or business and then turning in too early instead of looking for the sign, then those drivers aren't admitting their mistake and telling their senders the correct directions.

As for the local rag readership, did they like it better when there was a dual carriageway diagonally across Queen Square? Philistines!

classic33

Leg End Member
This morning on my commute through here, yet another HGV driver who either ignored the R-O-A-D C-L-O-S-E-D sign or paid too much attention to his satnav, came to a grinding halt at the Heras fencing. Then proceeded to do a U-turn that meant driving over the brand new segregated cyclepath (rubbish brick pavers), leaving nice black tyre marks all over it and no doubt damaging the pavers, usually based on sand.

For those who don't know this route, it can be still cycled and will be shut until August. I have also seen frustrated car drivers caught in our in our infamous congestion (according to local rag readership, caused by cyclists and bus lanes, never too many cars), speeding down this road only to have to U turn. Is the 'Road' or 'Closed' bit causing the confusion:blush:?. Answers on a postcard......
Work starts on disconnecting a non domestic customer on the 13th. With a "give and take" traffic control system in operation.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I should add that I have also seen HGV drivers trying to get in from the other end of this road at Temple Gate and the having to reverse out into three lanes of traffic - utterly bonkers!.

As for the local rag readership, did they like it better when there was a dual carriageway diagonally across Queen Square? Philistines!

Curiously, I mentioned this to a younger work colleague who couldn't believe it!. As for the intellectually challenged local tabloid readership, some make an amoeba look smart. They blame congestion on cyclists, bus lanes, cycle lanes, bus stops that stick out into the road, former Mayor George Ferguson (new mayor now reaching the end of his honeymoon period and will feel their wrath shortly), traffic lights and so on. Never too many cars:blush:.

Lonestar

Veteran
Car drivers on the East West cycle route plus a moped rider and a motorcyclist last week...Dodgy as it's a two way cycle lane enclosed.Plus all the other rljing idiots.Great fun.

I'm surprised you could discuss it with workmates CN1701...all I ever get is cyclists red light jumpers but I can never think of anything clever to say.:banghead:

Still waste of time anyway because the same old tired lines of "road tax" and "insurance" comes out yet again.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There is a church near me. It has now put up a sign on the corner of its turning saying "COOLSTAK → 200 yards" [...] Some used to drive across the grass on the corner, which was destroying the path and kerb so there are now bollards and a new laurel hedge to discourage that.
Well, the bollards didn't work :sad: but at least the hedge looks intact...
anotherone.jpg

Top Bottom