"Caution left turning lorry"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
If it even saves one life it must surely be a good thing. Certainly very helpful for people who can actually hear it (i.e cyclists). does it stay on all the time the indicator is going, or just for the first few flashes?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's got to be good. Those reversing tapes on trucks are pretty darn loud, and I'm sure that people complain about the noise but..........I'm with Sh4rkybloke.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Can't see the video on this machine, but if it's as per the description it's a damn good idea.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Watching the vid seems to suggest that it's only repeated a couple of times... unless the driver switched the indicators off shortly after turning them on. Bit confused now (no change there then!). I like the "hoardings" along the side of the HGV too instructing people to "Keep Clear"... but suspect that they won't be read by many cyclists as they undertake. :angry:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I saw one of those lorries at a Bike Breakfast one year. IIRC there was an alarm that was triggered in the cab by movement along side the left hand side of the vehicle, perhaps the external voice is triggered in the same way.

Edit: possibly a motorbike went by just before the voice? Though if that was the case the second one didn't trigger it....

ohnovino

Large Member
I think people who go up the inside of large vehicles do so because they simply don't understand why it's so dangerous, rather than because they haven't noticed it's about to turn, so they probably won't get the point of the message.

But still, it's nice to know there are haulage companies looking out for us :thumbsup:

mark barker

If this catches on (and I hope that it doesn't) won't it make busy junctions even more confusing? Lorries all over the place telling you they're turning... Isn't that what the indicators are for? If people are ignoring them, why will they pay any attention to a talking truck?

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A motorcyclist stopped next to the lorry, and the lorry couldn't turn left as it was ahead only.
It would appear that this is automatic and a buzzer also goes off in the drivers cab so he knows it is happening.
I presume it only happens when the truck is stopped and from what i have read (which isn't much as it's hard to find out information about this device) it appears to sound even if the truck isn't turning left.

Whilst it is a lie that the truck isn't turning left, i certainly believe that you shouldn't be going past a vehicle like this in stationary traffic unless you can a. see far enough ahead that you can make it there before the lorry starts moving, and that it won't turn shortly after it starts moving and b. there is plenty of space to move past it and escape onto the pavement if things to go tits up.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
[QUOTE 1284978"]
Not a bad trackstand either, keep your head up more though looking ahead and you shouldn't have to make so many adjustments.
[/quote]

Ta, i was on my roadie with freehub so it was all about the small changes in movement back and forth for balance. If it was a bit steeper i could have done it sitting down and with little movement like you said.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Keltbray fitted many of their tippers last year with the movement sensors/audible warnings like those in the vid. Before that, some hauliers fitted audible warnings devices when the indicator was employed.

Bman

Guru
Lets be honest gaz, this has nothing to do with talking HGV's and everything to do with your trackstand :whistle:

Top Bottom