Cav is on Strava!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
surely he will have a power meter?

almost certainly, but I was talking about Strava's own power figures...

400bhp

Guru
My understanding is that the power meter stuff is transferred onto strava automatically - you can tell this by clicking on a ride. If there is a lightning icon next to the power then there's a power meter present.

My understanding is that the power meter stuff is transferred onto strava automatically - you can tell this by clicking on a ride. If there is a lightning icon next to the power then there's a power meter present.

you may be right - I didn't even look. I just automatically assume that whenever anyone mentions 'power' in relation to strava, they are using strava's own 'made up' numbers.....

400bhp

Guru
Mate has a power meter and his power gets transferred to strava.

Cav pushing 800w on one of his (joint) KoM's

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Power meter power takes precedence over Strava's fictional values if running a power meter, for certain. The little lightning icon you see rarely next to peoples power figures denotes measured power rather than made up power.

Other than made up meaningless power values and 2 more leader table options, what do you actually get with premium membership to Strava?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Power meter power takes precedence over Strava's fictional values if running a power meter, for certain. The little lightning icon you see rarely next to peoples power figures denotes measured power rather than made up power.

Power calculations on Strava are supposed to be quite good over longer segments according to some comparative tests that were done with power meters, but and it is a big but Strava can't calculate the effect of wind or if the user doesnt bother imputing their correct weight.

Look at the KOM on this with a power meter and my power estimate in third both cycled today and you see the massive distortion that the tailwind has made to Stravas power calcs.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Other than made up meaningless power values and 2 more leader table options, what do you actually get with premium membership to Strava?
A lighter wallet, makes you go faster ;)

http://app.strava.com/premium <-- Real answer there

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Power calculations on Strava are supposed to be quite good over longer segments according to some comparative tests that were done with power meters, but and it is a big but Strava can't calculate the effect of wind or if the user doesnt bother imputing their correct weight.

Look at the KOM on this with a power meter and my power estimate in third both cycled today and you see the massive distortion that the tailwind has made to Stravas power calcs.

How good is quite good? Curious, as to what sort of percentage error we are talking about and what ranges of rider and equipment were tested.

Strava power is also only as good as the mapping software, I have a 5 min power rate of 528W alledgedly on an average grade of 27.7%, problem is I know I was going through a tunnel for most of the segment at around 8-10%.looks good though

They can only be as good as the underlying mapping which is often wrong. One flat run along the prom for me, has 3 10% hills on Strava, giving me an estimated power of, ridiculous, as I 'climb' them all at 20mph. So, pinch of salt, interesting in relative terms only when compared to previous logged rides.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I've tried looking for a decode facility for the garmin fit file so I can upload a power tap file alongside a stripped one to see how the estimate tracks. Anyone know of a decode util?

Top Bottom