Cav on sprinting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A great insight into what it's like inside the murky world of sprint finishes from the man himself. Here.
Good article.

There's a Radio 5 live ''BeSpoke'' interview with him tonight at 19:30 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05zhnbt

siadwell

Guru
I like this bit - Cav on crashing:
Is there time to be angry before forearm even meets tarmac?
"Yeah. You say two letters. Which are F and U. Then you hit the deck. You don't have time to complete the words."​

Dan B

Disengaged member
Good read, thanks. Either he's got a better editor or he's learned to write since his book came out

winjim

Smash the cistern
Interesting that he cites cadence as the limiting factor.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've heard him make the observation before that a club rider would crash during the neutralised section of a race. Having ridden next to a former pro and experienced how close he rode alongside me - bars about half an inch from mine as we bumped along a back lane - I can well believe it. It isn't just the speed, but the level of bike handling that sets those guys apart.

Great article. Loved the final comment:

"It's such a weird thing. In a sport where there are eight on the start line, second's still something. In cycling, you might have 200 bikes on the start line, but second doesn't mean a thing.

"You might be second, but you might as well be last. That's what makes it so special."

jarlrmai

Veteran
I've heard him make the observation before that a club rider would crash during the neutralised section of a race. Having ridden next to a former pro and experienced how close he rode alongside me - bars about half an inch from mine as we bumped along a back lane - I can well believe it. It isn't just the speed, but the level of bike handling that sets those guys apart.

It a bit of that and bit higher risk taking due to the competition, you wouldn't ride that close with riders @ 25-45+ unless you had to.

Top Bottom