Cavity wall insulation and grants.....anyone understand this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I'm willing to risk cavity insulation, but not whilst CIGA have a well-earned reputation for not honouring the guarantee. The cost of remedial work if something goes wrong is about 500 times the annual energy saving (£60,000 cf £114).

Fine, but at least you are aware of the risks.

My question would be, why don't they honour the guarantee?

presta

Guru
My question would be, why don't they honour the guarantee?

Because they're an organisation run by the industry for the benefit of the industry. I'll get CWI when they're sorted out, which will be when Nelson gets his eye back.

presta

Guru
Why would I want to remove this?
There are some who have their homes ruined by it, and turned black with mould. When they do, CIGA just find excuses not to honour the guarantee, and leave them to foot the bill themselves. Anything you save off your bills is chicken feed at the side of the £60,000 it costs to remove the insulation.

And then there's:
another firm were employed at no cost to us and removed the original filling which had sunk
which is fine, as long as the council are footing the bill.

Slick

Guru
Why would I want to remove this?

I was paid a lot of money over the years to erect scaffolding on a number of properties that were having this removed. I honestly haven't seen this type going in to any properties in Scotland for years now. Unbelievably, I also paid quite a lot of money for a property that I used to rent out that was part of a larger building for it to be removed. When its saturated, its much harder to remove it as it is to get it in as it clogs, so the holes in the building were every few feet.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
We had the polystyrene balls type installed in our previous house and in our current house. Possibly psychological, but in both properties we thought it made it feel cosier. Didn't have/not had any problems with damp from the insulation and our house is heavily insulated, including underfloor insulation.

Slick

Guru
We had the polystyrene balls type installed in our previous house and in our current house. Possibly psychological, but in both properties we thought it made it feel cosier. Didn't have/not had any problems with damp from the insulation and our house is heavily insulated, including underfloor insulation.

They were the next gen in cavity insulation. I got the same, but was never convinced and sold the property shortly afterwards but to my knowledge, there has been no further issues.

dicko

Guru
I was paid a lot of money over the years to erect scaffolding on a number of properties that were having this removed. I honestly haven't seen this type going in to any properties in Scotland for years now. Unbelievably, I also paid quite a lot of money for a property that I used to rent out that was part of a larger building for it to be removed. When its saturated, its much harder to remove it as it is to get it in as it clogs, so the holes in the building were every few feet.

We had replacement double glazing fitted last year. With the windows removed I could see the Goose feather insulation it was all perfectly dry. We live in Derby about the centre of the country no torrential rain etc. I know that insulation in houses in the western UK suffering from torrential rain and storms affecting their cavity walls becoming wet and bridges tha cavity to cause internal damp but that affects all insulation types so no we definitely won’t need to remove our BSI insulation.

dicko

Guru
They were the next gen in cavity insulation. I got the same, but was never convinced and sold the property shortly afterwards but to my knowledge, there has been no further issues.

Our family bungalow in Bournemouth had the Polystyrene balls insulation that was 1967 mother sold the bungalow in 1980 it was a perfect insulation media.

Gillstay

Über Member
At some point, either you or someone coming behind you will have to pay an awful lot more to remove it.

Why I have had three houses with it in now and all did fine with no moisture issues. I made sure I knew what they were putting in and ensured they did a good job. One chap injecting it got shirty when I explained I was not happy with his standards and he could either do it right or go home and I would talk to his boss. He improved, I kept supplying tea and we settled to a good job done.

Slick

Guru
We had replacement double glazing fitted last year. With the windows removed I could see the Goose feather insulation it was all perfectly dry. We live in Derby about the centre of the country no torrential rain etc. I know that insulation in houses in the western UK suffering from torrential rain and storms affecting their cavity walls becoming wet and bridges tha cavity to cause internal damp but that affects all insulation types so no we definitely won’t need to remove our BSI insulation.

I'm afraid it doesn't affect all insulation types and whilst I'm sure you may have a slightly drier climate than the west coast of Scotland but single leaf brickwork is not water tight regardless of where you are in the country.

Slick

Guru
Our family bungalow in Bournemouth had the Polystyrene balls insulation that was 1967 mother sold the bungalow in 1980 it was a perfect insulation media.

I obviously can't answer that but the balls type stuff has always been more successful, so much so that many local councils are still filling the cavity to quite a large portion of their housing stock. Others have long since given up on it for external insulation boards, which aren't knew either.

Slick

Guru
Why I have had three houses with it in now and all did fine with no moisture issues. I made sure I knew what they were putting in and ensured they did a good job. One chap injecting it got shirty when I explained I was not happy with his standards and he could either do it right or go home and I would talk to his boss. He improved, I kept supplying tea and we settled to a good job done.

Again, I don't know the answer to that, but given that it can take 10 years or more for issues to arise linked to the fact you have had 3 housed insulated, I suspect that you didn't hang around long enough for issues to arise.

Obviously I could be wrong and as we all know there are exceptions to every rule.

Gillstay

Über Member
Again, I don't know the answer to that, but given that it can take 10 years or more for issues to arise linked to the fact you have had 3 housed insulated, I suspect that you didn't hang around long enough for issues to arise.

Obviously I could be wrong and as we all know there are exceptions to every rule.

One was done 15 yrs ago and is fine. Friends now live in it, one was done 10yrs ago and is the same and the one we are in someone else did a long time ago. Possibly closer to 20. The one in Guildford was good as the insulation also cut down the road noise, which was an unexpected benefit.

Top Bottom