Scotland : Perthshire CC Ecosse RV ride to see @satnav! Saturday 10 Oct, 12-1 RV Time

Which day preferred?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
[QUOTE 3918568, member: 9609"]I'm not trying to pin you down for an exact timetable, but just a rough idea whether it be a morning or afternoon thing, I presume it won't be a middle of the night ride like they do down south. and do you have to wear a helmet and have insurance and stuff ? have never done one of these rides before....[/QUOTE]

I suspect it will be an early afternoon ride dependant on when people can get there, there are only 3 rules:

Any bike will do;
No one gets left behind;
There will be cake! :hungry:

All sounds a bit loose and woolly but there is little point micro planning CCE rides, they never go to plan! If I am training it I can get to Pitlochry for 12:20ish and it would be around an hours ride to @SatNavSaysStraightOn

I suspect it will be an early afternoon ride dependant on when people can get there, there are only 3 rules:

Any bike will do;
No one gets left behind;
There will be cake! :hungry:

All sounds a bit loose and woolly but there is little point micro planning CCE rides, they never go to plan! If I am training it I can get to Pitlochry for 12:20ish and it would be around an hours ride to @SatNavSaysStraightOn
Even for the very fit and fast, Pitlochry to Liarn Farm will take you much longer than 1 hour. That I can promise you. If the route bring +26-30 miles doesn't slow you down, the climbs (one long one out of Pitlochry by the better route) out the horrendous road surface on the other plus the traffic will slow you down sadly. Blair Atholl is a better stop and in via Calvine if possible. That is a stretch you legs and go fast route. It takes more than an hour by car and I know every bend and pothole there is!

PS I like your rules!

My only rule is that if you want cow's milk in your tea/coffee please bring your own! ;)

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Even for the very fit and fast, Pitlochry to Liarn Farm will take you much longer than 1 hour. That I can promise you. If the route bring +26-30 miles doesn't slow you down, the climbs (one long one out of Pitlochry by the better route) out the horrendous road surface on the other plus the traffic will slow you down sadly. Blair Atholl is a better stop and in via Calvine if possible. That is a stretch you legs and go fast route. It takes more than an hour by car and I know every bend and pothole there is!

PS I like your rules!

My only rule is that if you want cow's milk in your tea/coffee please bring your own! ;)

TBH I was guessing and hadn't put too much thought into it :blush: - brain is a bit scrambled at the mo.

If it takes much more than an hour I will probably aim for the earlier train, which should see me getting to you around midday? Should we aim to make 12-1 a rough guide to an RV time?

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
[QUOTE 3918858, member: 9609"]ha ha - you don't know how slow i go - lol

if the weather is good and my back isn't out of kilter (which it often is) I'll come up for this. Probably park up Braes of Foss to make it into a 50 miler, and join you from the farm round the head of the loch then leave at the eastern end.

will bring a carton of blue top for my coffee ![/QUOTE]

Would be great to have you along!

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I'm on a 14 days work on a trot stint ... haven't looked at timetables yet ... will do so tomorrow, been spending all my allocated CC time on some audax thread :rolleyes:

Glasgow Queen Street to Rannoch Station Train leaves at 08:21 and get into Rannoch at 11:08:

upload_2015-9-23_9-14-19.png

Alternatively you can get a train from Glasgow QS to Pitlochry (change at Perth) at 07:59 arriving 10:15 - it's cheaper too...

Brandane

Legendary Member
@Pat "5mph" @Harry_Palmer79 @Brandane @Bobby Mhor - when are your train(s) likely to arrive from the West?
IF the weather plays ball, and IF work doesn't make an offer I can't refuse; then I think I will be driving up with bike in the back. Can't really get involved in any car sharing because a) I don't want to let anyone down in case of my non attendance, and b) My wee Toyota only just manages to get one bike in the back with front wheel removed!

RV is probably best at the cottage tbh... People can easily park there as well.
A lap of the loch is 24 miles by itself. If you go up to Rannoch station as well it will become 36 miles.

For someone wanting something longer I would seriously recommend parking at Calvine and coming in from there via Trinafour.
If you want a good climb then park up at Kenmore and do the Schiehallion road which is beautiful.
Those wishing to dice with death on the north side of loch tummel and queen's view can park for free either at Killiecrankie, just after the bridge across the river tummel, or just before there at the forestry commission car park for faskally woods. We have left our car there at both of those before now without issue.
Otherwise we can collect people off trains if wanted...

If we say we aim to leave the holiday cottage at 1pm fit a very slow wander around the loch in an anticlockwise direction? I'm happy for people to turn up any time they need on the day and lunch can be eaten or cooked on site... Though I was planning on providing cakes and drinks only so you would need to bring your own lunch.

BTW, our friends have hens which are usually still laying eggs and they are very nice eggs if anyone wants to purchase any... :hungry: assuming my OH and I haven't eaten they all by then! We usually get through 3-4 dozen up there and take another dozen or so home with us as well! :whistle:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
RV is probably best at the cottage tbh... People can easily park there as well.
A lap of the loch is 24 miles by itself. If you go up to Rannoch station as well it will become 36 miles.

For someone wanting something longer I would seriously recommend parking at Calvine and coming in from there via Trinafour.
If you want a good climb then park up at Kenmore and do the Schiehallion road which is beautiful.
Those wishing to dice with death on the north side of loch tummel and queen's view can park for free either at Killiecrankie, just after the bridge across the river tummel, or just before there at the forestry commission car park for faskally woods. We have left our car there at both of those before now without issue.
Otherwise we can collect people off trains if wanted...

If we say we aim to leave the holiday cottage at 1pm fit a very slow wander around the loch in an anticlockwise direction? I'm happy for people to turn up any time they need on the day and lunch can be eaten or cooked on site... Though I was planning on providing cakes and drinks only so you would need to bring your own lunch.

BTW, our friends have hens which are usually still laying eggs and they are very nice eggs if anyone wants to purchase any... :hungry: assuming my OH and I haven't eaten they all by then! We usually get through 3-4 dozen up there and take another dozen or so home with us as well! :whistle:

Hmmm, eggs in pannier bags - what could go wrong?!?

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
We are done it plenty of times with no problems! Honestly. Everything we tour we will buy fresh eggs each day or two and in side an egg carton they are remarkably unaffected by cycling or panniers.. Though I'll admit to preferring to put them in my barbag!

I guarantee the day I put eggs in my panniers is the day I fall off. @Telemark probably rides everywhere with a box of eggs, teapot and some bone china cups in her panniers.

Not that any of those 3 things are related... :wacko:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I fancy a go at this, but there's one thing - or rather 230 things - against it.

The miles, and that's just from the north east of England.

Obviously only I can deal with that.

But if I do make it, I will be parking at the meeting point.

I agree with @SatNavSaysStraightOn aiming to leave around 1pm is a good idea.

She might describe herself as slow, but in my experience a ride like that will take several hours in a group, however fast or slow anyone is.

Top Bottom