Central Heating - on yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A friend of mine's energy bills are half what I pay, so she says. Though she does live in a new (ish) build house with all the insulation stuff, unlike my flat which was thrown up in the 1950's.:rolleyes: Why so much less than mine you might ask.šŸ§ Well, it's because even though her house is only 20 years old, she doesn't have any central heating. Instead she has those plug in electric heaters. Mmm, I thought electricity cost more than gas though.šŸ¤”

A friend of mine's energy bills are half what I pay, so she says. Though she does live in a new (ish) build house with all the insulation stuff, unlike my flat which was thrown up in the 1950's.:rolleyes: Why so much less than mine you might ask.šŸ§ Well, it's because even though her house is only 20 years old, she doesn't have any central heating. Instead she has those plug in electric heaters. Mmm, I thought electricity cost more than gas though.šŸ¤”

They are expensive if you mean the convector type ones which blow air of a heating element
But if the room is well insulated and the doors do not let a draft through to other rooms then after a few minutes the thermostat will realise it has got to the set temperature and switch it off

Also - there are some much more efficient electric heaters nowadays using infra-red stuff. They are supposed to be much more energy efficient and are a possible replacement for gas Central Heating

but it is probably just the insulation and lack of drafts - and how she sets the thermostat

presta

Guru
Maybe I would if I was working hard in it like I used to, but not when I'm sat down, therefore not moving. :okay:
This.

When I was cycling I could sit in shorts and T shirt at 17C and be comfortable, nowadays I can sometimes feel cold at 25. It's 22 in here now.

Air temperature measured with a thermometer only tells you a very limited amount about thermal comfort anyway, because so much depends on radiant heat from the walls/floor/ceiling. Not only that, it also matters a great deal that there's not too much asymmetry between the radiant temperature of one surface relative to another.

From CIBSE Guide A:

1714477146090.png

This is the reason why I made a thermal model of my house and heating: what the thermometer tells you about the air temperature, and what the walls are doing can be two very different kettles of fish. If I switch the heating off overnight it takes until about midday before the walls warm back up again, during which time I feel freezing cold.

I find that I get used to different temperature if I leave it for a while

Many years ago a taxi driver ( a well know source of accurate information - not!) that he had an Arab in his taxi once (stop sniggering at the back!!!) and he said that if your forearms are in the same temperature area as the rest of your body then you will adjust, if possible, to the temperature of your forearms
Hence have bare forearms allows you body to adjust better to the room temperatre whether it is hot or cold
This is why Arab robes are so voluminous and have long sleeves
(I did say it was relayed by a taxi driver - don;t expect to drill down and still have it make any sense!!!)

Since then I have tried to keep my forearms bare when possible and to me it seems to help my body adjust to different temperature

maybe

anyway -

Top Bottom