Centre kickstand for Genesis Tour de Fer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iorek

Hi (first post here :-),

in the grand scheme of things, I am considering building a custom Genesis Tour de Fer as a do-everything bike for commuting and 2-week EU tours. I will have tons of other questions on the Touring forum in near future, but the issue at hand currently is: does anyone has experience with kickstands mounted to TdF?

I own a CdF and there is no place for a kickstand unless I would use one of the chainstain-crushing ones. But it seems that TdF has a plate at the bottom bracket that should take a centrally-mounted kickstand (e.g. https://www.pletscher.ch/index.php/en/products-en/kickstands-en/center-kickstands-en). Could anyone please confirm?

Thanks a lot!
IO

OP
OP
Iorek

Iorek

I will answer my own question as it might be useful for others. Yes, TdF has a centre plate between chainstains that will take a kickstand (CdF does not). I saw it online with someone else's bike first and then bought a frame and can provide a proof myself :-)

Attachments

• IMG_5530.jpg
    IMG_5530.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 65

cidhipol

Hello Lorek,

Nice tour de fer you out together! I have one and I'm looking for a suitable kickstand. Would you mind sharing the kickstand model you installed, some fotos and sharing your experience when fully loaded?

Thanks!

Angel S.

allgaeu_tobi

I have the Pletscher Optima Flex center stand on my Tour de Fer (2020 model).
However, I am not happy with it.
The thick base always brushes against the spokes.
Currently, I'm looking for a rear stand and will take a look at Hebie.

OP
OP
Iorek

Iorek

I used to have something similar to Pletscher Twin (double leg) kickstand with my TdF, but it didn't work very well, mainly because with the double leg kickstand the bike must be on a level surface (both legs should be on the same level - roughly). Additionally, when I had any load on front wheel (front panniers and handlebar bag), the stationary bike would fall when the wheel turned as the stand wasn't able to hold it.

I have since changed it for Pletscher Optima Flex and I am 75% happy... but I think this is not Pletscher's fault but rather a fault of all centrally-mounted kickstands. With moderately heavy back panniers (which I have on my daily commute), the kickstand occasionally does not hold the bike. You can't leave it on a sloped ground either, because the panniers "pull" the bike back (and then it falls).

I now think the solution is to have a chainstay-mounted kickstand, but for that you need proper mounts - 2023 TdF has them now, as for many years had many German brands (Cube, Stevens, VSF, etc.), so if I were on the market for a new bike now, that would be an important consideration.

Top Bottom