Centre lock or bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sturmey_Hub

Riding in the Schwarzwald
I apologise if there has been a thread on this before (if so, can you point me to it), but does anybody have a preference and, if so, why?? Personally, what the advantage is of either.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Centre lock. Easy to install and remove when servicing bearings . Six bolt it’s easy to round off the bolts, you need to unbolt when servicing bearings each year.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Got 6 bolt as they all (the bikes) came with them. Don't bother removing the disc when servicing the wheels, just be careful and clean the discs after.

Doesn't really matter.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Bolts here. For the simple reason that if I lose a bolt or 2, they can be easily replaced. Not so easy with centre lock. Whilst I have indeed rounded off bolts in the past, it's not exactly easy to do.

OP
OP
Sturmey_Hub

Sturmey_Hub

just wanted to know if there is an advantage of one over the other. If not, then i wonder why they brought in centre lock? No, not a sturmey hub with discs - i haven't decided on hubs yet - hence the question.

Big John

Guru
I work on bikes as a volunteer and the centre lock makes life easier for me. I've had to remove many rotors that are bolted on and often the bolts are rounded and I end up drilling them out. Takes an age. From a personal point of view I prefer the centre lock. They're just easier.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My bolts are all Torx, so less likely to round, but the kids bikes are hex bolts. Bolts are more common, esecially at the 'cheap end'. Centre Lock use the same tool as for cassettes (I believe), so pretty simple.

OP
OP
Sturmey_Hub

Sturmey_Hub

All good stuff. It seems that there's no advantage performance wise, but more personal preference during maintenance. Thanks all.

Top Bottom