Centre propstands - crushed frame experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cromcruaich

Had a search here but couldn't find much info.

Anyone actually had any experience of a centre bipod style (or any other) stand crushing the bike frame?

SJS/Thorn position is that
Any damage caused by a stand of any sort being clamped to the frame would not be covered by warranty.
and one of the bipod products has a specific warning about this.

But wanted to know how likely it actually is to happen.

Plax

Guru
I've not had any experience myself, but I specifically brought a rear stay stand for this reason. Apparently it is mainly Aluminium frames that suffer from this. I have a steel framed bike, but still went for the rear stay one as the centre ones look a bit clunky.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm no framebuilder but I'd have thought that the standard prop stand, clamped onto the chainstays just between the BB and the bridge wouldn't do any damage as the frame tubes are pretty thick there, unless it's a high-grade steel frame with really thin tubing.

Naturally you wouldn't ask it to support more than the weight of the bike!?

OP
OP
C

Cromcruaich

Unfortunately the chainstay ones get in the way of where the pump lives (down the seat stay) as the only style of chainstay one up to the job needs to stabilise on the seat stay. It is high grade steel, not sure thickness - its a thorn sherpa.

I suppose the fact that noone has replied 'I used a bibop and it knackered my frame' is a positive.

Top Bottom