Cervelo R3 or S3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't actually need a new bike, but am hankering after something a bit more focused and am considering a Cervelo S3, but maybe that's a bit too full on for me as I'm getting on a bit and less flexible thee days so am also thinking of the R3.

Any advice on either appreciated, I am looking for the bike to be capable of long rides but also fast

Cheers

S-Express

Should be possible to get a good position on either, and both bikes are provably 'fast' (assuming the rider is fast) and capable of long rides

toontra

Veteran
I got an S2 last year (which I didn't need, either!) and it has renewed my enthusiasm for cycling.

I went for the S2 rather than the S3 as I was led to believe it was the same frame with different forks and components. As I was planning on upgrading all the components anyway the S2 was the way to go.

The geometry isn't any more aggressive than any of my other bikes (even though I've only used 1 x 5mm spacer) so no issues with discomfort. I've done multiple 100m+ events and it still brings a smile to my face every time I ride it!

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Decisions, decisions. I am considering the S3 but as I already have a Collage CLX 3 with uprated wheelset I am now thinking do I really need the S3? It's on a good deal with Evans, Sigma, and Wheelbase but it's still a lot of £ and is it going to be really any better than the Collage, and if I get it will the Collage just sit there gathering dust...........

I know it's nice dilemma to have.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Haha, Oops It's not made of bits of paper glued together. Colnago gets changed to collage before my very eyes. It's an age thing!

IainC

5 yr lurker
R3 every time. I had the same dilemma as you and have never looked back. Depends on your riding plans, but I think the S3 is more suited to shorter high intensity rides with the R3 being a bike you can get off of after 100 miles without needing crutches. Handily the R3 is measurably faster than my other bike (2016 Cannondale Synapse) so my mental guilt at the expense is fully salved...

Top Bottom