Cervelo S2 - To buy or not to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bald Ealge

Regular
http://www.slanecycles.com/cervelo-s2-bike-ultegra-6800-mavic-cosmic-carbon-sls-2012-p-25341.html

To me this seems like a good enough deal, maybe a couple hundred off would be more realistic. I will be doing a mixture of short sprint triathlons, hilly courses to long 140mile sportives. So the bike needs to be an all rounder.

The shop thats selling it is not too far from me (25mins in a car) which is another plus. I am 6ft and 90kg so probably need to get rid of a few kgs!! But looking at 56cm frame, which is what my Felt is. Anyone have an S2 or know anything about them?

vickster

Legendary Member
@derrick

I think?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
http://www.slanecycles.com/cervelo-s2-bike-ultegra-6800-mavic-cosmic-carbon-sls-2012-p-25341.html

To me this seems like a good enough deal, maybe a couple hundred off would be more realistic. I will be doing a mixture of short sprint triathlons, hilly courses to long 140mile sportives. So the bike needs to be an all rounder.

The shop thats selling it is not too far from me (25mins in a car) which is another plus. I am 6ft and 90kg so probably need to get rid of a few kgs!! But looking at 56cm frame, which is what my Felt is. Anyone have an S2 or know anything about them?
After riding the S2 you will not want to ride anything else, the frames are really stiff, it ticks all the boxes. it descends like it's on rails, and climbs like a mountain goat, and in a straight line it's fast. what is there not to like, i love mine^_^
Just looked at your link, if you are going to spend that sort of money it may be worth looking at the new S3 http://www.shorter-rochford.co.uk/bikes/s3-ultegra/

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bald Ealge

Regular
Might not bother with the S2 now, I was down in their shop today and the fellas weren't very helpful at all. Didn't want to let me sit on the bike for fear that i was getting measured up to go buy it elsewhere, I explained that I would want to sit on the bike to see how it feels. I even said to the fellas if they were going to buy a car would they not want to sit in it. Two of the lads were quite rude as well, every question seemed like a hassle. Not nice people to deal with, wouldn't negotiate with the price at all. I asked could he even come down 100 quid and he seemed to have dug his heal in at this stage. He said that his prices won't be beaten anywhere!

I apologised for making them think that I was going to get measure up to buy online, which I honestly hadn't even thought about it in that way. When I was driving down the road after though I was raging that I even apologised, I am the customer and they were meant to be helping me. I was standing beside a fella who was in looking to buy 5 bikes and the assistant manager wasn't helpful at all to the fella, who was asking some normal questions. This is a few times that I have heard about slane's staff having an attitude problem. They must sell a lot of bikes if they don't need to be helpful and reasonable with customers off the street. To be fair to them, they have an unreal selection of bikes and some cracking deals but I wont be back due to their poor service and lack of basic manners!
Rant over.

Don't know what bike to go for now. Chainreaction don't have much of a selection.

Reactions: apb

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I wouldnt buy from them after that experience even if they were cheaper. If they treat potential customers like that Imagine how helpfull they would be if you had a warranty issue later .

Good Luck with the hunt for a bike, I would try to use a LBS if there is one near you. Most are helpfull,not all unfortunately.

e-rider

crappy member

at 6' 0" a 56cm frame must be too small? 58cm is more like it at 6'0". I'm 6'2" I ride a 60cm frame. I find 58s too small.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nope. I ride a 56cm Roubaix and I'm exactly 6', it's perfect for me.

Have a look at Specialized Roubaix SL4 and Tarmac SL4, superb bikes. Roubaix is the endurance model and Tarmac a little more sporty.

A nice bit of kit, Just love mine.
othwates2.jpg

Missus will kill me as I have recently bought a Bianchi Oltre XR1 with insurance money and upgrades bits and bobs on the bike and we agreed that I would get a 2nd cheaper bike that I could use for communiting to work and maybe going to shops, one that wouldnt attract much attention from the unwanted eyes but when you look at bikes you tend to get greedy haha.

Either way im a happy bunny, delivery tuesday so pics to follow in the photo section

Top Bottom