Cervelo S5 Bottom Bracket Creeking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bondsy

Anyone got any advice on how to stop the creeking on a bbright bottom bracket. I have taken it out and cleaned the threads, re-greased them and added carbon paste to the contact areas on the frame but this has made no difference to the creeking. Bearings are good and still spinning freely with no wear. Not sure what make the BB is as it was the one that came with the bike. Anyone had the same issue or know how to resolve?

Ajax Bay

Guru

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Oh dear, this a common problem with press fit BBs. A popular fix is to use one of the adaptor kits to change to a screw in type.

Anyone got any advice on how to stop the creeking on a bbright bottom bracket. I have taken it out and cleaned the threads, re-greased them and added carbon paste to the contact areas on the frame but this has made no difference to the creeking. Bearings are good and still spinning freely with no wear. Not sure what make the BB is as it was the one that came with the bike. Anyone had the same issue or know how to resolve?
Get another bike. That BB -Right thing is so stupid, yet somehow the poor invention was is matched by a poor implementation by its own inventor (perpetrator, more like it), Cervelo. You've gone from the fat to the fire. Cut your losses.

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

Oh dear, this a common problem with press fit BBs. A popular fix is to use one of the adaptor kits to change to a screw in type.
Not sure that the adaptor kits would work as the non drive side bearing sits flush to the frame. My current bb is split in the middle, with the drive side screwing into the non drive side. As it is tightened it pulls the bearing cups into the frame. I noted in the first video that this was the fix for the pervious issues cervelo were having with the bb. The only thing I haven't tried is to use loctite on the cups were it interfaces with the frame.

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

Fit one of these. https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/248...aspx?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=WMPF30THDBB
Have them in both my Cervelo's, Problem solved.
Thanks Derrick that looks pretty much like the one I have fitted with the only difference being I have 11mm which protrudes from the frame on the drive side. When you fitted the new bearing did you use loctite where it interfaced with the frame? If you did what type was it?

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

First I would make absolutely sure that it is the BB creaking. There are many other things it could be.
Diffo the BB, only creaks when putting power through the cranks, already checked all the usual areas, plus it seems to be a common issue with the bbright brackets.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Bondsy I must first stress I've no real mechanical skill or knowledge but I have a Cervelo C3 and at one point last summer was convinced I had a creaking bottom bracket.

My LBS went over every possibility and ruled out everything. On the second or third investigation when I went to pick the bike up I was handed a pair of cleats "Put those on, Paul." I went home replaced my cleats with new. Problem solved.

The creak returned about ten days ago when I started using this bike after winter storage. Different shoes though! I cleaned and pasted the seat post, lubed the seat runners, my cleats and SPD pedals. Again the creak has disappeared.

I can't remark on your situation other than there can be many causes, some of them unexpected. Might be worth investigating before spending more time on the BB.

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

@Bondsy I must first stress I've no real mechanical skill or knowledge but I have a Cervelo C3 and at one point last summer was convinced I had a creaking bottom bracket.

My LBS went over every possibility and ruled out everything. On the second or third investigation when I went to pick the bike up I was handed a pair of cleats "Put those on, Paul." I went home replaced my cleats with new. Problem solved.

The creak returned about ten days ago when I started using this bike after winter storage. Different shoes though! I cleaned and pasted the seat post, lubed the seat runners, my cleats and SPD pedals. Again the creak has disappeared.

I can't remark on your situation other than there can be many causes, some of them unexpected. Might be worth investigating before spending more time on the BB.
PaulSB, Thanks for the message interesting point about cleats, mine have seen better days and it isn't something I considered, I think you are right about doing some further investigation.

Grease and lube the interface of the spindle and the cranks. I’ve often found that silences a creaky BB, when everything else has been treated as you have treated them.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Thanks Derrick that looks pretty much like the one I have fitted with the only difference being I have 11mm which protrudes from the frame on the drive side. When you fitted the new bearing did you use loctite where it interfaced with the frame? If you did what type was it?
No loctite.

Top Bottom