CF Seatpost Cracked :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phixion

My bike is in at Halfords for it's 6 week service, they found that the CF Seatpost is cracked - probably due to me over-tightening the clamp.

The seatpost has been slowly slipping down for a few weeks, overtime the slipping has rubbed away at the CF around the seat clamp, meaning I've had to tighten it more and more to keep it locked in place.

They have agreed to replace it as a good will gesture, which is great... I know It's my fault.

They have ordered in a new CF Seatpost and I'm wondering whether it's worth asking for an Aluminuim one instead. I've read there isn't much between them in terms of feel - I guess CF is slightly lighter.

Thoughts?

Drago

Legendary Member
Get yourself some carbon assembly compound. It reduces the bolt tightening torque required by up to a third.

OP
OP
P

Phixion

Yeah I've seen that stuff on a GCN video when searching for a solution.

I also need a Torque Hex wrench of some sort to make sure I don't do this again.

Anyone know where I can I find one for a decent price? They are expensive!

jiberjaber

Veteran
Yeah I've seen that stuff on a GCN video when searching for a solution.

I also need a Torque Hex wrench of some sort to make sure I don't do this again.

Anyone know where I can I find one for a decent price? They are expensive!
There's a couple of options, you can get a allen key torque drive which is just a single size and set to a specific torque,
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/5nm-torque-wrench-ec038648

or you can get a torque wrench you fit bits to so gives you more flexibility on what you do up.
fixed torque
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-6-nm-torque-wrench/aid:407161
adjustable torque
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtreme-3---15-nm-torque-wrench/aid:228762/

OP
OP
P

Phixion

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
This is why you need N+1 (at least)

You could always do some other exercise in the meantime, mix it up, swim, run, gym, walk

OP
OP
P

Phixion

This is why you need N+1 (at least)

You could always do some other exercise in the meantime, mix it up, swim, run, gym, walk

Gives me an excuse eh? :biggrin:

I'm a terrible swimmer, I have shin splints from running in the past and I walk my dog 3+ times a day. I just don't get the same feeling from walking as I do biking - I like my legs to feel like I've done a work out :smile:

I looked in to bike rental, but it's 30 quid a day... I've ever considered getting a cheap second hand bike for under 50 quid to fill the gap. If anything it'll give me a harder work out and make me appreciate my bike more!

vickster

Legendary Member
Go fixed for N+1, that'll give your legs a workout :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you happened to be 6' and to live in Lancashire you'd be welcome to borrow my Tricross disc, not the fastest or lightest bike around but a good all-purpose bike.

OP
OP
P

Phixion

Thank you very much for the offer mate, but I'm in the midlands and only 5'8"!

I wouldn't mind a fixed gear bike but by the time I get that I'd probably have my old bike back.

Top Bottom