England : Warwickshire CFC Sportive 2017 (Stratford-upon-Avon)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiger10

Über Member
Good luck, that's quite an undertaking and certainly a lot more than i could manage yet. I msy see you but would be watching from the verge if I can make it. How many miles can you manage at the moment ?

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

Good luck, that's quite an undertaking and certainly a lot more than i could manage yet. I msy see you but would be watching from the verge if I can make it. How many miles can you manage at the moment ?

I did a 100-miler last summer but I've not kept things up over winter so I have lots of work to do! Do you not fancy one of the shorter distances?

robgul

Legendary Member
This event, together with others in 2017, is linked to CfC's initiative The Million Mile Bike Ride - details at http://www.millionmilebike.org.uk/ (It's all linked up with Strava etc) - fantastic cause.

Rob
[I need to declare an interest - CfC runs the Charity Bike Shop near Stratford-upon-Avon where I volunteer a day a week, fettling donated bikes and looking after customers in the shop]

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

Boy was this a tough one! My mate and I got to mile 42 and decided we definitely wouldn't be doing 150. Luckily, the 150 is just the 100 plus an extra loop.

Much hillier than I expected and far too little training -- my furthest ride since September has been about 30 miles. Lots of lessons learned.

Just managed the 100 with a bit of pushing up some of the hills and a bit sore today!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Boy was this a tough one! My mate and I got to mile 42 and decided we definitely wouldn't be doing 150. Luckily, the 150 is just the 100 plus an extra loop.

Much hillier than I expected and far too little training -- my furthest ride since September has been about 30 miles. Lots of lessons learned.

Just managed the 100 with a bit of pushing up some of the hills and a bit sore today!

I saw someone with a Cycle Chat jersey, was it you? I was not in the sportive, I was going the opposite way.

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

I saw someone with a Cycle Chat jersey, was it you? I was not in the sportive, I was going the opposite way.

Nope. Just a boring plain red jersey for me. I was the guy who, at mile 68, was telling my mate that I might just put down my bike, sit in the road and not go any further, and he couldn't stop me!

robgul

Legendary Member
Very big turnout for this event again this year in what was pretty much ideal weather for cycling most of the day.

If you were riding, I was the marshal on the exit gate onto the road at the start . . . . easy day for me : there at 0615, all done by 1015 and as I only live about half a mile from the start rode home and had a second breakfast at about 1030 ^_^

Lots of bikes and other stuff for the shop donated on Saturday & Sunday - that'll give me plenty to do in the workshop on Friday.

Rob

.... don't forget, same day next year and watch out for the other CfC events this year.

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

Very big turnout for this event again this year in what was pretty much ideal weather for cycling most of the day.

If you were riding, I was the marshal on the exit gate onto the road at the start . . . . easy day for me : there at 0615, all done by 1015 and as I only live about half a mile from the start rode home and had a second breakfast at about 1030 ^_^

Lots of bikes and other stuff for the shop donated on Saturday & Sunday - that'll give me plenty to do in the workshop on Friday.

Rob

.... don't forget, same day next year and watch out for the other CfC events this year.

Thanks for supporting it Rob. In that case, I was also one of the annoying people who didn't read the parking instructions properly and you had to turn away from your entrance. Sorry!

I'd be interested in helping out with the marshalling at any future events (I live in Warwick) -- how do I get involved?

robgul

Legendary Member
Ah, you and about 100 others that presumably told the SatNav "Stratford Racecourse" and got the main gate! I assume you weren't the chap who passed the correct entrance and came to the main gate - and when I told him about the parking said "Is that where it said event parking?" Doh.

Keep an eye on the CfC website for events and make contact with the office for volunteering as a marshall

Rob

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

Ah, you and about 100 others that presumably told the SatNav "Stratford Racecourse" and got the main gate! I assume you weren't the chap who passed the correct entrance and came to the main gate - and when I told him about the parking said "Is that where it said event parking?" Doh.

Keep an eye on the CfC website for events and make contact with the office for volunteering as a marshall

Rob

Nope -- I was just on autopilot that early on a Sunday morning and forgot I was supposed to go to the other one. Oops!

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place

Well done-good effort:okay::bravo:!

Rupie

Über Member
Its a good event, done it a number of times. You are correct there are lots of nasty little ups and downs, specially as it doesn't advertise itself as a hilly Ride.

Top Bottom