CH corrosion inhibitor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Adding corrosion inhibitor to CH system.

Last time I did this I partially drained the system and added corrosion inhibitor via the expansion tank.

Do I really have to drain the system at all to add it?

Can I just take a volume if water, equivalent to the fresh inhibitor that I am going to add, out of the tank and add it that way?

Am I wrong to assume that it will eventually work its was around the entire system from there?

Ta in advance.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It could take a long time for the contents of the F & E tank to work it's way into the circulating part of the CH system. You can get inhibitor dispensers that inject the stuff via a radiator. That means that it gets straight into the circulating water.

CXRAndy

Guru
If a radiator has an air gap, depressurise the system, add it via bleed valve, assuming you can find a feed tube.

The boiler, should have some port

D

Deleted member 26715

Putting it in the tank won't/shouldn't work unless you have a leak, however you could potentially put it into the tank then draw water out of the system to pull water out of the tank.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Putting it in the tank won't/shouldn't work unless you have a leak, however you could potentially put it into the tank then draw water out of the system to pull water out of the tank.

Good idea. Tie up the ball valve of the F&E tank, stick in the inhibitor, then go down to the lowest point on the system and drain out a volume of water slightly greater than the volume of the tank. Then untie the ball valve.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I add to tank. If you want it in sooner, add to tank, then draw out a few buckets of fluid from a bleed port on a downstairs radiator. I've just been bleeding one of our ports to get rid of the dirty fluid before I top up again with inhibitor. I've never tried directly via a radiator.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I add to tank. If you want it in sooner, add to tank, then draw out a few buckets of fluid from a bleed port on a downstairs radiator. I've just been bleeding one of our ports to get rid of the dirty fluid before I top up again with inhibitor. I've never tried directly via a radiator.

I have a bleed port ithen garage which is underneath the house so I'm going to do tbat.

I'll kill the ball valve first.

Loft is fully boarded and illuminated so it'll be no hassle.

Top Bottom