Chain advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mickwood

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I bought my bike in mid dec and am slowly learning as I go along. I've bought tyre levers and spare inner tubes in case of punctures but as I'm starting on longer distances I've started to think about chains! What happens if it snaps half way round? Is it fixable? If so, how and what pieces of kit would I need? Is it a case of carrying a spare chain (seems daft?) or is there a 'link' of some sort that can do a temporary or even permenant fix to get me home again?

Thanks in advance

Mick

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I would get a multi-tool for your tool roll with a chain tool, plus a couple of compatible power links. These are links that can be easily opened or closed, allowing you to safely break the chain if you want to take it off for cleaning for example.

OP
OP
M

mickwood

Is that 2 seperate tools? ie. a multitool (as a normal multitool) and then a 'chain tool'? I suppose power links come sized and I'll need to get one for the size chain I have? or am I talkin Sh*te? :smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Er, dare I inject a note of sanity here? "What happens if it snaps half way round?" It won't. They don't. Don't worry about it.

bonj2

chains only break if you havent' put them on properly. e.g. if a pin isn't all the wayy through, one side will take all the stress and snap.

02GF74

Über Member
no - chains can fail but it is rare. I had one come apart on a brand new bike - chain not fitted by me - really weird as the pin had vanished totally. Fortunately my mate had chain tool so I was able to fix it. I usually carry a spare shimano chain pin.

On another occasion, I have had a link start to come apart - luck that I had warning as it was making noise - managed to fix that one by hammering it flat with a big rock!!

not had one come apart for many years.

jpembroke

Ben_3 said:
chains only break if you havent' put them on properly. e.g. if a pin isn't all the wayy through, one side will take all the stress and snap.

Chains break in races. Seen a few go in 'cross races (not on my bike I hasten to add). I wonder if chains are weaker now they are getting thinner (campag 11 speed anyone?)

Anyway, you've got a decent multitool with a chain tool on it. Just pack an SRAM powerlink along with the tool when you're out on your bike and you can fix a chain if it breaks (make sure you learn how to do it first though).

Doubt it'll ever happen though.

02GF74

Über Member
jpembroke said:
Chains break in races.

not sure that is representatice. 's like saying you also see more crashes in 1 hour of F1 than it you sat on top of a motorway beidge for a few days.

if you have ever raced, then you'll know the adrenaline gives you superhuman strength as well as make you push the bike harder.. I';ve snapped 2 brake cables in races, and I've not done more than 10 - compared to 1 snapped cable in umpteen thousands of miles, on and off road.

I am not sure narrower chains are weaker as the pins are same diameter as the links the same size.

jayce

never give mine a second thought i take my phone if anything goes phone the misses to pick me up simple . ive had a few bikes never had a chain go on me but when i clean and lube mine quick check to make sure its ok .i think thats all you can do if it breaks it breaks

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yup, broken chains are most common if you've been breaking and re-joining, but they do still happen. The few extra grams for a chain tool as part of your toolkit is well worth it. Besides which, what if you meet another cyclist with a broken chain - it'd be jolly good karma to stop and help them out.

Top Bottom