chain and gear set cleaning and relubing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Hoe

Regular
Hi all, just a quick one, what is the best way of cleaning, degreasing and re-lubing a chain, gear set and drailer?

I have a chain doctor device and citrus degreaser but what should I use on my sprockets??

Please help.

Many thanks

D H

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
All you need are rags and lube and the Mickle Method of Chain Cleaning.

For the sockets, just take the wheel off and run the rag through the sprockets, that will get all the crud off.

Forget about the chain bath, they are rubbish.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
just done the MICKLE SYSTEM

ran the chain through loads of rags - whilst still on the bike.
then added cycle oil to each link - repeated x3 until the rags were just removing clean oil from the OUTSIDE of all the links
seems to run much smoother now

to me, a degreaser removes lubrication from INSIDE the links/rollers - which is where you want it

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
For a really thorough clean take the whole lot to pieces and clean each part. If your cassette comes apart so much the better. Chain rings are a doddle to clean if you take them off. You can get away with leaving the front and rear mechs on the frame, but take the jockey wheels off for a deep clean. Rags, brushes, cotton buds, baby wipes, GT85, lube as required to remove the crud :thumbsup:.

boydj

Legendary Member
For a really thorough clean take the whole lot to pieces and clean each part. If your cassette comes apart so much the better. Chain rings are a doddle to clean if you take them off. You can get away with leaving the front and rear mechs on the frame, but take the jockey wheels off for a deep clean. Rags, brushes, cotton buds, baby wipes, GT85, lube as required to remove the crud :thumbsup:.
Just done that on two bikes. My version of the 'Mickle Method' is to use ProLink Gold, which is pretty light, in a chain cleaner, or alternatively, take the chain off and bath it in the lube. Either way, the lube bath is followed by a good wipe and the job is done a bit more quickly.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You forgot the Shelbroco chain cleaning method :whistle:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Pipe cleaners are good for cleaning the cassette. I use the Mickle method for the chain usually. About three times a year I put the chain and cassette in an ultrasonic bath filled with Jizer.

I'm bad.

Top Bottom