chain and surface rust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hello,
are a particularly wet and muddy ride on my road bike i washed it and put it away but foolishly did not re-oil the chain. I just dug the bike out this morning from the shed and notice that there is surface rust 'colouring' on the chain. Am i doomed to buy another chain or could it be salvageable?
Thanks

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd suggest spraying the chain with WD-40/similar, cleaning the rust off and it should be fine.

You don't want to see the state of my commuter bike's chains during a winter's commuting.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
This is a weekly routine for me at the moment:
  • Put the bike away wet meaning to oil it up later.
  • Forget, get it out the next week to find the chain stiff.
  • Spin the cranks enthusiastically whilst applying some oil.
  • Ride.
  • Repeat.

Been doing this daily, or even twice daily(!) commuting in the last few weeks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello,
are a particularly wet and muddy ride on my road bike i washed it and put it away but foolishly did not re-oil the chain. I just dug the bike out this morning from the shed and notice that there is surface rust 'colouring' on the chain. Am i doomed to buy another chain or could it be salvageable?
Thanks

I'd suggest spraying the chain with WD-40/similar, cleaning the rust off and it should be fine.

You don't want to see the state of my commuter bike's chains during a winter's commuting.

• Ride.
  • Repeat.

Been doing this daily, or even twice daily(!) commuting in the last few weeks
What a miserable place the UK is for cyclists around this time of year, and into next year . :sad:

Alex321

Veteran
Hello,
Thanks

Just lubricate it and ride, the rust will disappear, until the next time you forget to lubricate when arriving hiome with it wet.

DAMHIKT :smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
could it be salvageable?
I recently received a bike from my neighbour (it was headed for the tip) as he had no room inside and it had been outside for a while. The chain was absolutely solid. Apart from a good clean the bike (Al frame) was in reasonable nick.
I cut the chain and left it in oil for a while and then gave it a good clean, and dry, and WD40 and then manipulated all the stiff stiff links (mostly the section of chain which had sat on the return from chainring to RD cage, 'interestingly'). Pushed the pin back in to re-join the chain (8sp) and wiggled to ensure not stiff.
Back on the bike, more @mickle method with oil obv, and then a test ride. Was fine.

So a bit of discolouration is not a worry: just get the oil on (as @Alex321 says). You will learn this 'lesson identified' if you change behaviour and as a matter of course treat post wet ride drivetrain attention in the same way as you'd (immediately) take the lights off to recharge them. This is likely more important if your bike storage is a damp shed. Have oil and a rag readily available in the shed to facilitate this.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What a miserable place the UK is for cyclists around this time of year, and into next year . :sad:

Being wet and cold is only in the mind ... :whistle:

... that's ignoring the awful state it leaves bikes in which are used regularly on wet days over winter ...

... or the risk of crashing. Son no. 2 went down hard last week at speed and doesn't look great currently due to being covered in road rash.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Currently 32°, feels like 37°. Even on a short ride dehydration soon sets in so not all good.
On the upside a bottle of local beer is less than a £. Cheers.

Screenshot_20231218-131536.png

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Even a rusted-solid chain is usable after oiling and a few turns of the pedals; clearance is achieved very fast, as rust isn't very strong. Rust won't kill one, at least not on a normal timescale.

Jameshow

Veteran
  • Ride.
  • Repeat.

I thought better of you...!🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom