chain angst/ lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helsbells

So, my nearly daily commute has been going pretty well. However, friday, I had a couple of issues with my chain. Coming out of an underpass on a v. steep exit, I went to change gear to something easier to pedal, and my chain got caught up. I guess the best way to explain it was that it kind of got doubled up in an S-shape in the area of the 3 big sprockets (is that the right word for the big pointy-circly things at the front of the whole chain array?!). I think I must have been moving it down from the biggest to the middle one. I will say that the exit was fairly steep, so there was quite a bit of effort going onto the pedals at this point.

Anyway, I managed to sort it, and was on my merry way, until about 1.5 miles later, when I was changing gear again (can't remember which way), and it seemed to slip to the smallest of the sprockets- I definitely wasn't aiming for that one!

So, does the chain just need lubing up, or was it a one (two?!) off? Was I indulging in inopportune gear-changing, or worse, is this indicative of some problem with the chain.

I need to pick up some lube anyway, tell me, Oh Great Ones, what do I need?!?

Thanks all!!
Helen

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'd have thought the first gear change went wrong because of changing on a steep hill. Second change, that happens sometimes, not so much to worry about really.

A little bit of lube on a chain rarely makes things worse Helen, don't forget to wipe any excess off with a bit of old cloth or paper towel - don't want any lube getting from the chain and onto the wheel rim (not good for braking). There might be several reasons why the chain could behave as it did, but if you're changing gear while giving the pedals some welly that won't help. Best practice for gear changing is to ease the pressure off a little so that there's not too much tension on the chain/gear system. Hope this helps a little bit.

OP
OP
helsbells

helsbells

Well, that has put my mind at ease guys :biggrin:
I do need to pop out in the car tomorrow night, so will swing by Halfords (!) and grab some lube. What sort do I need- anything that says 'chain' on it? Or should I go for something more specific?
thanks!

OP
OP
helsbells

helsbells

Gah! I know.
I always assumed that once I left home and got my own place I would magically become neat and tidy....
It never happened.
But, I am on leave the week after next, so might just give the bike a good ol' scrub!! I'm sure I will feel much better about myself!! Heh heh...

Globalti

Legendary Member
If the chain got pulled up and trapped between the chainrings and the frame, you had what is called chainsuck. This is caused by the chain sticking to the bigger ring as it drops off onto the smaller. Could be caused by a worn or dirty chain or just bad luck.

You need to learn to anticipate hills and try to get most of your gear changing done before the effort comes in. Don't forget that you can change gear while freewheeling if you just turn the pedals slowly but not actually propelling the bike - eg while slowing for traffic lights, meaning you'll be in the right gear for starting off again.

Arch

Married to Night Train
helsbells said:
Well, that has put my mind at ease guys ;)
I do need to pop out in the car tomorrow night, so will swing by Halfords (!) and grab some lube. What sort do I need- anything that says 'chain' on it? Or should I go for something more specific?
thanks!

I tend to use either Finishline (there are wet and dry versions, I think it depends on the sort of biking you do, I use the one with the red lid, I think it's the dry one...) or the Halfords equivalent. (it'a a little black plastic bottle, with an orange top I think, and called... oh.. um.. probably something like Dry Lubricant). It's less sticky than oil would be and can be applied in a fine squirt...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, and 'sprockets' are the cogs on the back wheel. If you have a derailleur bike, there are also the jockey wheels, which the chain runs through in an S shape to keep tensioned. The things at the front (IE at the pedal end of the chain) are chainrings. (hope that helps?;))

Like RR says, something to practice is changing before you need to put too much strain on the chain. It'll get to be second nature...

Top Bottom