Chain replacement intervals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

Fairly new to road cycling

Changed 4 or 5 chains on my mtb commute bike over the years but never really check the length etc, once it’s slow to shift and or skips I usually change chain and cassette, lazy I know!

However since I got a road bike it gets much more attention, as some of you may know I’ve started waxing the chain, I got a chain checker tool and have been checking every 300 miles or so.

Generally how long do you all get out of a road bike chain? And what is your first sign of knowing it needs replaced? My bike is rarely ridden in wet and chain maintenance is very important to my routine to get as much miles from it as possible.

I’ve done 2600miles on this chain and I’ve just put the checker tool on it which seems ok.

Attachments

• B23C8601-B32B-40EA-8417-086C51A0A627.jpeg
    B23C8601-B32B-40EA-8417-086C51A0A627.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 12

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It depends how hard you use it, the weather, the route(s) and what weight you are.

I get about 1500-2000 miles out of a road chain, but only 500-600 on my winter commuter.
My son, who's a lot lighter than me, gets about 2500-3000 miles on his road bikes, 1500 on his commuter.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

It depends how hard you use it, the weather, the route(s) and what weight you are.

I get about 1500-2000 miles out of a road chain, but only 500-600 on my winter commuter.
My son, who's a lot lighter than me, gets about 2500-3000 miles on his road bikes, 1500 on his commuter.

Thanks. Do you just go with a standard checker tool and replace when it gets to .75?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks. Do you just go with a standard checker tool and replace when it gets to .75?

I do, or when it's completely filthy/rusted in the case of my winter commuter which gets all sorts of abuse.

The only time I replace chains below .75 is if I've a major event coming up or so no. 2's got a big race and we swap the chain on his spare bike (his team bike's done elsewhere).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
...I'll add...... or when two separate links fail within 5 pedal strokes of your front door & a short interlude to repair first failure with quick link when you dig out the best bike in spring for its first ride of the year:wacko:

presta

Guru
This is my data FWIW:
1658920010612.png

"Z51, PC58, & PC971" are data from my own chains (original KMC then SRAM), and relate to on-road touring in any/all weather, on a Dawes Horizon with Deore 3x9 (& 3x8) transmission. I weighed between 69kg and 86kg at that time.
"All Chains & All SRAM" are averages plotted from the test data published by Wipperman, in which the wear is deliberately accelerated by daubing the chains with sand.
"Riever" is data from someone on here who deleted his post after I plotted this previously.

I don't fuss over it, I just give it a check whilst I'm servicing the bike if it looks a bit worn.

CXRAndy

Guru

Buy a steel rule. All links are 1/2 inch, so measure 6 or 8 inches on the top run of the chain under tension. I'll normally replace when I see 1/4" over 8" length

Sharky

Guru
When I was commuting and doing a high milage each year, rather than waiting for obvious wear, I would always change the chain and cassette in the spring (March). This would give me a free flowing transmission during the nice summer months and then survive through the cold and grimy winter months. I know the chain would need replacing annually, so did it when it suited me.

Now retired, things are a bit different as my mileage is a lot lower and split over 4 bikes, so change intervals are much longer and based on wear or not functioning correctly.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I use SRAM PC1110 11 speed chains and check using a digital Vernier, they get changed at 0.5% elongation. I normally get 1200 - 1500 miles per chain, and 3 chains per cassette, which for me works out about once a year.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I use SRAM PC1110 11 speed chains and check using a digital Vernier, they get changed at 0.5% elongation. I normally get 1200 - 1500 miles per chain, and 3 chains per cassette, which for me works out about once a year.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is my data FWIW:
View attachment 654567

"Z51, PC58, & PC971" are data from my own chains (original KMC then SRAM), and relate to on-road touring in any/all weather, on a Dawes Horizon with Deore 3x9 (& 3x8) transmission. I weighed between 69kg and 86kg at that time.
"All Chains & All SRAM" are averages plotted from the test data published by Wipperman, in which the wear is deliberately accelerated by daubing the chains with sand.
"Riever" is data from someone on here who deleted his post after I plotted this previously.

I don't fuss over it, I just give it a check whilst I'm servicing the bike if it looks a bit worn.

I don't 'fuss over it' - says the man with a graph ! :laugh:👅

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I change cassette and chain at same time, like others. Chain rings replaced as and when. By Autumn, my 'off road' commuter will need new cassette, chain and large chain ring, and probably the jockeys. Just get's hammered with grit off the canal.

Lube regular, replace when knackered.

I rotate two chains on the full suspension though, changing over when the 'in use' chain get's a battering (usually after a wet trail centre).

Top Bottom