Chain catching front derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there,
Had my new bike for a couple of weeks but finding that every time I'm in the big ring at the front the chain is catching the derailleur - no matter what gear it's in at the back. I know that you are to expect some grinding if the chain is crossed etc but this is in every gear when using the big ring.
Only way to stop it is to hold in the lever for shifting (when it shifts up it seems that the cage comes over far enough but then when you release the lever it slides over a couple of mm and this makes the difference.
Sorry am rubbish at maintenance so some of the terms for the different parts might not be spot on. Any ideas?
Oh...if info is needed...the gearing system is Shimano 2300 with a Sora front mech.
Thanks

Rasmus

Without a clever title
If it's a brand new bike, you should take it back to the shop and have them adjust the derailer properly.

If not, there's a small limit screw that you will need to adjust to stop the grinding.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Thanks Rasmus...Unfortunately I drove for and hour and a half to get to the nearest Decathlon store to pick up the bike and would like to try and solve it if poss before making the trip again.

Pauluk

There are two limiting screws on the front derailleur. You need to identify the high limit screw and make a small adjustment. Don't over do it as this may make the chain come off, just enough so you get a nice gear change with no catching.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Thanks guys. I'm not the best at this kind of thing but am gonna spend tomorrow trying to sort it out. If it all goes south I guess I'll be heading north on the M1!!!

PpPete

Legendary Member
NO ! - don't touch the limit screw ! (not yet anyway)
If it wasn't catching when you first got it the limit screw is most likely still in the right place.
What's happened (always does on a new bike) is the cable has stretched, so it's not pulling the derailleur far enough across.
Half a turn anticlockwise on the cable adjuster. See if that sorts it. Maybe another half turn.
If not then think about whether the limit screws are preventign it moving.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Wussed out and took it to the LBS. Must say that it really made me realise that there are good people out there. The guy at the shop listened, gave me some sage advice about shifting and then said he'd take a look if I gave him an hour to look at it. Came back an hour later and he walked me through shifting and the fact that you can't completely eliminate it (hope that's true) but showed me how he'd got it to the best that he could.
I asked him how much he'd like for the time he'd spent...he said nothing if I would consider coming back back if I had a problem
SOLD!

Top Bottom