Chain cleaner, degreaser and lube advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniffer77

Hi all
Had my bike few weeks now so I'm looking for any advice as to what to buy to clean and re lube chain etc.
Not looking to spend a lot so what can you guys recommend?
I've seen chain cleaners on eBay but not sure if they would be decent or not for a few quid.
I live by the sea and cycle a lot on coastal routes, so not sure if dry or normal lube would be best.
Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Avoid dry lube in salty environments (no protection against corrosion) other than that use the Mickle method regularly with whatever oil you fancy. I use chainsaw chain oil but others will recommend different but clean re-lube often, every 3 rides at least.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I had one of them chain cleaners - a top grade Park Tools one.
I used it once, so sold it, as lightly used - but neglegted to mention why.
It does sort of work, but is messy, faff, and pointless

Mickle method works for me - which is basically wipe it with an oily rag and re-oil it.
And repeat till it's at least somewhat clean and well oiled.
No solvents, no degreasers - which remove the lubricant and wash grit it, and dilute any oil you then put back on.

Which oil? Dunno, but what matters is some oil rather than no oil

OP
OP
Sniffer77

Sniffer77

Thanks for the replies, so do I hose the chain and rings down first? And the frame when I want to clean it or do I just wipe with damp cloth?
Never heard of that method, but seems pretty easy . I presume I clean the cogs with a brush or toothbrush?
Sorry for more questions as I've never had a bike since I was a child and never maintained anything mechanical myself

400bhp

Guru
Chain cleaners are the devils work.

My OH cme back from the shop with a chain cleaner and some degreasant or other yesterday. Cost - 20 odd quid.

9:30 am, the stuff was back in the shop and I was 20 odd quid better off.

Cheeky fecker in the shop asked (rhetorically) do you not clean your bikes then?:rolleyes:

I left a particular webpage open on mickleing the chain at home last night.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My OH cme back from the shop with a chain cleaner and some degreasant or other yesterday. Cost - 20 odd quid.

9:30 am, the stuff was back in the shop and I was 20 odd quid better off.

Cheeky fecker in the shop asked (rhetorically) do you not clean your bikes then?:rolleyes:

I left a particular webpage open on mickleing the chain at home last night.

They are 'use once-never again' type things..

zacklaws

Guru
To clean my chain, chain rings and cassettes, I used to use, whatever I had on hand, petrol, parrafin, white spirits etc.....but now I just buy a cheapo bottle of supermarket own brand washing up liquid, about 50p and brush it in well neat and then wash it off with water, dry it with a rag, and then a drop of oil on each link using Chain-L applied with a small artists paint brush, and after the first ride just wipe the chain with a dry rag to move any excess oil which may have spread onto the sides of the links

But never put petrol in a plastic chain cleaner, they warp and drop to bits eventually, as I found out

U

User6179

Washing up liquid has salt in & rots your bike though.

Quite , I learned my lesson after giving my wheels a wash with Fairy Liquid
potatochips.jpg

Top Bottom