Chain cleaner, degreaser and lube advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tojo

Über Member
I use Elbow Grease ( kitchen degreaser ), from the local Poundland and a washing-up brush from same establishment to clean all the gunky bits then re-lube, cheap and effective......:thumbsup:

zacklaws

Guru
Its a load of Tosh about washing up liquid corroding your bike, you come into more contact with salt riding through the winter than what your bike would ever see washing it with washing up liquid, providing you give it a rinse off afterwards. If it was a case of washing up liquid corroding metal parts away, in theory, I should have no kitchen sink left, or cutlery, or pans as it can be left in a bowl soaking in it for days at a time sometimes when I cannot be bothered to wash it up. In fact, I still have my first knife from when I was a kid to this day, how much washing up liquid has it seen in over 50 years? but it is still as good today as it was then. Just wash your bike with it, and rinse it off, job done.

But in the last two months, I have now switched over to Morgan Blue degreaser, brilliant stuff, not 100% perfect as what I would get with petrol or white spirit, but its far quicker, simple and less messy for the quick chain, cassette, mech's, and brakes degrease. Spray it on, give it 5 min's and just wash off with warm soapy water, job done apart for a quick relube.

Oh, and good resurrection of an old thread.

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
I see your point but all your kitchen stuff is of stainless steel, it's amazing what the correct amount of nickel & chromium in the smelt can do.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Quite , I learned my lesson after giving my wheels a wash with Fairy Liquid
potatochips.jpg
Bikes with wheel dishes which are soft as your bum, with mild green Fairy liquid ?

Attachments

• potatochips.jpg
    potatochips.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom