Chain cleaning - how often?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I last cleaned my chain at the end of July I think.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thanks to everyone who has replied with the advice and tips. All very helpful :cheers:

To summarise this excellent advice;

You should clean your chain daily, every few days, weekly , rarely or never.

You should use chain lube, never WD40, always WD40, or cooking oil.

In doing so you will extend the life of your chain, or make No difference whatsoever.

Seems pretty straightforward to me!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
To summarise this excellent advice;

You should clean your chain daily, every few days, weekly , rarely or never.

You should use chain lube, never WD40, always WD40, or cooking oil.

In doing so you will extend the life of your chain, or make No difference whatsoever.

Seems pretty straightforward to me!

Funnily enough, almost the exact same response is given on shooting forums and there you have the added complication of walnut to look after too.

ChrisEyles

Guru
A quick mickle every week keeps the commuter running quietly and smoothly. The weekend bike gets the same treatment every other ride or so. Doesn't take long and it's a good time to clean the bits of crud out of the rear derailleur sprockets. If I've got the time, and access to a cuppa and radio 3 I actually quite enjoy cleaning off the bikes and giving them a bit of a polish.

Back in the bad old days I don't think I *ever* cleaned my chain, just put on a squirt of oil every couple of months. The chain seemed to last just fine, but did get absolutely filthy!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One of the few threads on here where everyone agrees. ...and no-one has resorted to calling anyone else a complete d**k head.

Bit dull actually.
Call that dull? You complete d**k head.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One of the few threads on here where everyone agrees. ...and no-one has resorted to calling anyone else a complete d**k head.

Bit dull actually.
You complete d**khead!

duckhead.gif

winjim

Smash the cistern
Oops! :whistle:

Time to get on yer bike then, if you can ... (Sorry if there is a problem preventing it - it is hard keeping up with the injury, accident and health problems of everyone on CycleChat and I have a very sieve-like memory!)
Nothing bad, new baby taking up all my time ^_^

Top Bottom