Chain Cleaning Tool - Yes or No ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

cubby said:
hi, just debating wether to buy a chain cleaner from Park Tools or the likes ....

Just i spent ages last night cleaning the chain with degreaser, brushes and rags, then lubricated it with finish line wet lube, then been out today and the chain is a right mess again ....

So wondering if people actually recomend these chain cleaning tools ...

Thanks

I got one of these a few weeks back but've yet to use it

:smile:

I use a combination of the Mickle method and the Sheldon shake depending on crud factor and time since last shake.

CAUTION: When using Mickle method on a fixie, do not let yourself be distracted by dogs, kids etc. You could lose the end of your finger.

Bigtwin

Touche said:
CAUTION: When using Mickle method on a fixie, do not let yourself be distracted by dogs, kids etc. You could lose the end of your finger.

And don't forget if you are running even/even cogs (e.g. 23/16) put the chain back on one tooth round to double the life of the chain.

Bigtwin said:
And don't forget if you are running even/even cogs (e.g. 23/16) put the chain back on one tooth round to double the life of the chain.

TBH I run a 48/18 and I have never remembered to mark either chainring or sprocket and move the chain on half a link. I am aware of this method of prolonging chain use, but don't think it quite goes as far as doubling it.

Bigtwin

Touche said:
TBH I run a 48/18 and I have never remembered to mark either chainring or sprocket and move the chain on half a link. I am aware of this method of prolonging chain use, but don't think it quite goes as far as doubling it.

23/32 Torquay/Torbay!

Well not quite double, but not far off, given that only every other tooth wears laterally. Then again, SS chains and sprockets are cheap as chips anyway....

Mortiroloboy

No, IME you spend more time cleaning the bl**dy thing out afterwards, than you would if you just took the chain off and soaked it in some white spirit, which is what I do.

re-attach the chain and do the Mickle thang!

e-rider

crappy member
I use the park tools chain cleaner and it's very simple and not very messy (you get a few drops) so I don't know what these people are doing with it. It takes no more than a minute to have a shiny looking chain. One thing though is that the plastic on mine cracked after about 5 goes where the handle joins. It looks like a weak spot and poor design - which is bad as they cost a small fortune!

Top Bottom