Chain Cleaning Tool - Yes or No ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cubby

Über Member
hi, just debating wether to buy a chain cleaner from Park Tools or the likes ....

Just i spent ages last night cleaning the chain with degreaser, brushes and rags, then lubricated it with finish line wet lube, then been out today and the chain is a right mess again ....

So wondering if people actually recomend these chain cleaning tools ...

Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
no, bought one, used it a couple of times. Hard work & very messy. Buy the time you have faffed around using them you could have just dropped the chain in a bowl of White Spirit, rinse and re-lube. They are a waste of time imvho.

hubcycles

you can also try cleaning your chain by leaving it in paraffin oil for a few hours, I don't find the park chain cleaning tool great

Bigtwin

Waste of time.

Road bike just needs handful of rags and re-lube. What's the point of washing lube from inside the links? Years ago when they were build differently, yes, but not these days.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Search for the 'Mickle' method...

Wipe-lube-wipe-lube-wipe.
No solvents and doesnt remove the lube from the pins where it's needed, Oil anywhere else is of cosmetic value only.

OLDSHUNTER

Edinburh bicycle cooperative ; they sell a good machine called revolution tune up AT 9.78 chain cleaner /de greaser 3.91. 2mins and your chain's spotless inside and out and your hand's are stilL clean . cheaper than park's AND VERY EFFECTIVE

Virtual DBP

i can see this method working well if you start clean, but what do you do if you're chain and cassette are already thick with lube, dirt and dust to begin with?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I thought there was a pretty generally accepted consensus that 'deep cleaning' of any kind was not a good idea. I've avoided it for years, and I have no probs. (Then again, I don't use any lube that clings to crud.)

zacklaws

Guru
I use a chain cleaner and find it very quick.

I fill it with petrol or white spirit, spin the chain round for a couple of minutes, then dry it off with dry rags or kitchen roll and within 5 minutes my chains gleaming. It can be messy but you learn from experience and just put some paper down underneath to catch the spill.

It may not be the best way, but it certainly works for me and I don't know of a quicker way else I would change my ways

Top Bottom