Suggestions for Bike Cleaning Products + Chain Re-Lube (all weather) or Chain waxing..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razabbs

Years ago I bought a bottle of chain lube from Decathlon because of convenience (it was there when I bought the bike) but over the past few weeks I've realised I need to look after my bikes a bit better than I do so.

So, in the past I've used the big bottle of Muc-Off with a sponge and I have bought one of those little tools that degreases the chain (chain runs through the device) with degreaser bought from Halfords (again, convenience).

Is the Muc-off seen to be a decent product? I'm just reaching the end of my current bottle so now is a good time to change. If so, I'll keep using that,

Chain/Cassette/Chainring degreasing, I have alittle bit left of the Halfords stuff but I do have an aerosol can ready from Lidl that I haven't used yet. I think this is an important one as the lubricant from Decathlon is pretty farking awful. It get's everywhere and sticks like a bastard.

Finally, the chain lube. I have a summer and winter bike but I'd prefer to just have one set of lube if possible. What do we use? I've also heard of chain-waxing if anyone wants to enlighten me on that(looking into it now)

Please, plug your cleaning and lubing/delubing products here!

EDIT: Chain waxing absolutely looks like the way to go for my summer bike at least! Pleas suggest these products too

Last edited:
I used Finish Line Ceramic for years I tried the similar muc off product goes a bit sticky and you really have to keep on top of it and Finishline is easier to clean if you leave it any more than one week. Its a good product IMO. Having said that I switched to drip Wax (Squirt) a few years back and I wish that had been invented years ago. Much cleaner than a traditional lube, not as pernickety to set up as hard WAX and components last for ages, and its quiet, it also claims to have a lot of other performance benefits but not that you'd actually notice but if you forget to wipe down your chain after a particular wet ride your chain can get ugly surface rust and you need to wipe it down. I use it on my gravel bike and winter bike. On my good bike and TT bike I use a lighter version (Tru Tension Banana slip Tungsten)

13 rider

Guru
Full on chain waxing requires a bit of faff to set up ,strip chain clean ,hot melt wax in a Crockpot (don't let the wife know ) , To get very nearly the performance and therefore longevity of components a drip on wax lube works well . Silca one is suppose to be the best but expensive but is suppose to pay for itself in extending the life of the chain etc .
Personally I use squirt lube all year round in wetter conditions I double apply the lube ,of note the lube really needs appling hours before a ride to let the carrier of the wax evaporate
As for de greaser I use Gunk ( the bio degradable one ) car based product much cheaper than specific bike ones

I've been using Silca immersive wax for about eighteen months now. I can't imagine going back to non-wax lubricants. Quite apart from the longevity benefits, meaning that things end up costing less in the long term, it's the cleanliness which is entirely sufficient to make me use wax. Essentially, no part of the drivetrain needs cleaning beyond wiping with isopropyl alcohol on a microfibre cloth. Further than that, once you have a wax pot setup and ready to put the chain on, rewaxing is a process which takes only about five minutes actual 'work' over a period of an hour or so. Overall the 'work' on the whole drivetrain is far less once you remove the need for cleaning and applying an oil type lubricant.

I have a Crockpot and I prepare new chains using a series of shakings in jars of white spirit, degreaser, then meths, which is indeed a bit of a faff, but you only do that once per chain, and my chains are lasting about 15,000km now. That said, were I starting in waxing now, I'd definitely buy one of Silca's waxing systems and their magic 'convert the factory grease to wax' tablets. See this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEnD95UwE3w

That makes the whole process spectacularly easy, clean and quick. Not cheap initially, but think long term (and, again, think *clean* !).

Top Bottom