Chain connector problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
I have just installed a new Shimano HG53 chain with a KMC speed connector (both 9-speed) only to find that the chain is a couple of links too short and I will have to get another.
Can I get the conector apart? Can I heck! My previous chain (not Shimano) was joined with the same type of connector, and although it could at times be a bit fiddly, it always came apart.
Is this a problem with the Shimano chain - it was a tight fit getting the connector on - or am I completely ham-fisted.
When I get a new chain I might try a Connex connector, but in the meantime is there a knack or have others experienced similar problems with this combination?
Ta

D

Deleted member 23692

There s a knack - Squeeze the two sides together and then try to slide the two halves apart :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Get yourself a pair of these from Wiggle or from elswhere maybe cheaper

park%20qkmlp1.jpg

Pauluk

I sometimes just resort to my small needle nose pliers that I carry to remove thorns etc from my tyre. They can sometimes slip if you don't hold them at the right angle but tend to work ok.

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Thanks for the advice (no sarcasm intended :smile:). I thought I had the knack already - squeezing and pushing the plates apart - as I had no problem on my previous chain setup. I agree they are fab connectors. My concern is that they don't work so well with Shimano chains, or maybe I'm wrong. I may go down the route of getting pliers like that Ianrauk, but what I don't want to do is get another Shimano chain if it is going to make it this difficult. Maybe I should stick with KMC chains like the last one. I have sworn the air blue so far trying to get it apart and now it's time to stop before I hit something!

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
I sometimes just resort to my small needle nose pliers that I carry to remove thorns etc from my tyre. They can sometimes slip if you don't hold them at the right angle but tend to work ok.
Tried mine, which weren't nearly needle-nosed enough - my fault - damn near piched my finger off. Need narrower ones

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
I think the problem may be to do with the connector pin length and the Shimano chain. When fitting the connector it didn't slide home all the way as normal, so I used the tension of turning the pedals to make the connection. This, I think has made it tight and difficult to split, which makes me think that maybe they are not suitable for Shimano chains?

D

Deleted member 23692

Odd that - I've used both KMC and SRAM powerlinks on my shimano chains (two bikes) and they work perfectly OK

Have you got the right link for the chains?

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
I think so. The connectors are gold 9-speed and the chain is a Shimano HG53 9 speed so I agree it should be OK. I had no problems on previous chain (did I mention that:rolleyes:) and neither do you with your Shimano chains so they obviously work with those. Must be something I have done wrong when fitting or they aren't the parts I thought they were. Have to get me some of those pliers to remove it I think:ohmy:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I spent an hour swearing and ranting at a KMC link last year, couldn't budge it even with needle nose pliers...in the end I broke and rejoined the chain elsewhere....so now I do have the special chain pliers and they make the job a doddle.

02GF74

Über Member
or make your own chain connector disassembly tool, £ 1 adjustable plier from poundland and a few minutes work with an angle grinder.

Top Bottom