Chain connector problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jmenorton

i recently put a brand new connector on a brand new chain, realized i put the chain on wrong and spent the next hour trying to get the damn thing off, gave up bought the missing link pliers for a fiver and it was off instantly.

gwhite

Über Member
If you want to save money the use a spare spoke. Bend this into a "U" shape after cutting off the bend. Insert the two ends over the link and squeeze the spoke together from both sides. A bit lighter than the pliers to carry on tour too.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
If you want to save money the use a spare spoke. Bend this into a "U" shape after cutting off the bend. Insert the two ends over the link and squeeze the spoke together from both sides. A bit lighter than the pliers to carry on tour too.
Sounds like a great tip.....no doubt one that I will get to use at some time while sitting beside the road in the rain, 30 miles from home on what started out as a bright sunny day..... :-)

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you have a missing link that has proven dificult when you've tried to take it apart at home during regular maintenance....
When it's finally apart, don't put it straight back on, just give the slot on each half a gentle little rub over with fine emery or wet&dry. Gently is the operative word, just enough to round off any sharp edges and take off any tiny burrs that were stopping it moving before.

Should you ever need to remove the link at the roadside it will now be a much easier job.

Top Bottom