Chain de-greaser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
What's a good one

I got one from decathlon at the weekend in aerosol form and it was brilliant but took half the can to do the brilliant job, Any more effective ones out there?

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
This is what I use. I'm very happy with it.

FWIW I use THIS. We use it at work so I get it far cheaper than that price, although being an aerosol doesn't help your usage problem, but by heck it's feckin' awesome at cleaning anything dirty/greasy/oily etc. Chain, rings and cassettes come up like new. Plus it evaporates really quickly too so you're ready to lube and go :thumbsup:

PS: it's also superb for removing and fitting grips to flat bars. It's nice and slippy when wet but then evaporates leaving tightly fitted grips that don't slip :thumbsup:

sidevalve

Über Member
Yep, petrol works fine for me too. Just remember to put the woodbine out when doing it.

Petrol works well, ^_^
Ah, I well remember getting back into cycling in about 1997, went to a beginners cycle maintenance course in Sutton - all I remember is the amiable aged cyclist tutor recommending that we clean chains in an old cut-away tin of petrol - easily available from your local petrol station we were told. I do hope all my class colleagues are still well ....

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Baby wipes do a good job of cleaning grease.

If it's particularly dirty, WD40/GT85 are pretty good.

Of course, you can buy the ones listed above.

zacklaws

Guru
I used petrol in my chain cleaner, and it dropped to bits eventually as the petrol warped the plastic, white spirit was ok though. Parrafin may be a better option.

Top Bottom