chain degreasing brush

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Where could I get a brush like this?:
1658310087788.png

It's stiff bristled. All the paint brushes I saw in Homebase were really thin I think.
That image is from here https://cyclingtips.com/2018/05/chain-cleaning-and-maintenance-how-to/
Thanks.

figbat

Slippery scientist

presta

Guru
I've never seen the need for anything special, I just use an old Bridget brush for cleaning the sprocket and chainrings. When it comes to cleaning the chain, I haven't found anything to beat putting it in a screw-top plastic tub with a drop of white spirit, and giving it a good shake.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm not saying I'm right but...an alternative POV
Degreasing the chain, if not done correctly might actually increase chain wear. I assume you'd use solvent with the brush, work it all In and clean. Unless you make sure you get rid of all the solvent thoroughly, it's going to attack the new oil I assume you're going to put on and start immediately breaking it down.
I've tried many methods of extending chain life, some way way over the top...I never found anything you do makes an appreciable difference. I long since gave up, wipe the chain, oil, wipe again and ride. All the above only really matters if you're trying to extend chain life, if you just want a clean chain, that's a different matter. Nothing wrong per se with solvent, but I'd want to make sure it's completely evaporated, particularly in the bushings and pins, before re applying lube.

I use a plastic chain cleaner.
You fill it will degreaser and thread the chain through it then just wind the chain through. One advantage is that you do not need to take the chain off the bike so you do not need to break it apart.
There are several available - I think mine was made by Park Tools

Cleans the chain very well - but you do need to give it a good rinse after to make sure all the degreaser off it

Top Bottom