chain feels like it's missing hub sprocket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guycruls

so some time back, a bike shop guy fixed the above issue simply by turning that little wheel, shown in the attached picture.
question: which way to I turn: towards the front or the back of the bike?
many thanks!

Attachments

• BACK_WHEEL.jpg
    BACK_WHEEL.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 10

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Mark it and then try both ways. One will shorten and the other will lengthen. See which one works.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you get it right but have to undo to fix a puncture. You’ll find the correct position is the line between dirty and clean threads

There is usually a window in the Axel nut and a line on the linkage that should appear there in the middle gear. That’s if old school sturmey archery.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
If you get it right but have to undo to fix a puncture. You’ll find the correct position is the line between dirty and clean threads

There is usually a window in the Axel nut and a line on the linkage that should appear there in the middle gear. That’s if old school sturmey archery.
Surely you line up the end of the rod with the hub in middle gear to get the correct position in old school SA 3 speed?
Not expressed that very well but there should be a window in the AXLE nut to see the position. The nut the OP refers to is just a lock nut to secure the correct setting.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Surely you line up the end of the rod with the hub in middle gear to get the correct position in old school SA 3 speed?
Not expressed that very well but there should be a window in the AXLE nut to see the position. The nut the OP refers to is just a lock nut to secure the correct setting.
I think there is a window visible, arrowed
1641898701420.png

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had to get different axle nuts to take a BoB trailer which had no window to line up the operating rod but the normal ones do have a window to let you see the chain and rod.
The OP I think is referring to the locking nut for the chain/cable connection.

Top Bottom