Chain - How Tight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

As my chain is getting a bit slack, I'll be giving it a tighten.

Is there a rule of thumb as to how tight to go? Apart from making sure the wheel can still turn at the tightest point.

Wicksie

As tight as possible.

MajorMantra

I make it tight enough that there's no noticeable slack viewed side-on but the rear wheel doesn't slow down instantly if you spin it. If you're using a chainset designed for FG/SS I reckon you can get away with less tension but if your front ring is from a double or something it doesn't take much for the chain to come off. It's happened twice on my Pompino with a 105 chainset, and never on the Genesis with a Sugino one.

Matthew

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Cheers, I googled it and opinion varied. It's an off the peg fixie, so (should be) designed for it. Wheel slows down naturally but always stops at the tight spot now, might play it safe and loosen it off a tad.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Something isn't perfectly symmetrical. Chain gets tighter at a certain point. I'm told better parts reduce it but I definitely have a noticeable tight point.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
At the tightest point you should be able to 'spring' the chain about half an inch up and down. Any tighter and bearings, sprockets, chainrings and chain will all wear rather more quickly.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

and make sure your wheelnuts are tight

And chain tugs, otherwise it makes a godawful rattle on the way home!
The job is done, thanks.

Top Bottom