Chain jumping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

My £5 is on :-

"The chain is too long causing the mech springs to be too relaxed."

Dave5N

Über Member
A common cause.

I assumed this was a recent development, so that rules out a chain that's too long or the wrong BB.

Bent hanger does this every time. I have seen it so often I went and bought a realignment gadget.

A stiff link would prob. cause it to jump under pressure going forward as well.

peanut

Dave5N said:
A common cause.

I assumed this was a recent development, so that rules out a chain that's too long or the wrong BB.

Bent hanger does this every time. I have seen it so often I went and bought a realignment gadget.

A stiff link would prob. cause it to jump under pressure going forward as well.

do you ever read previous threads Dave :ohmy: I said this already .:biggrin:
ps can we all borrow your gadget ;)

OP
OP
Halfmanhalfbike

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
jimboalee said:
My £5 is on :-

"The chain is too long causing the mech springs to be too relaxed."

And the winner is.............

That's it. Shortened the chain by 1 link and the prob went way.

Thanks

Next question is how tight should a chain be anyway?

Dave5N

Über Member
Put your fingers against the underside of the top run of the chain.

Turn the cranks a full 2.8 revolutions.

If the bones are not crushed, the chain is too loose.

If the fingers are severed, the chain is too tight.

You'll only get it wrong twice.

Basically, get it as tight as you can without it being stupid tight when it's on the big ring on the front (Right Hand Side) and the big cog at the back (LHS).

You don't need ever to ride this combination, but you need to know the chain will accommodate it.

Secondly, put it in the smallest two rings, Front and Back, and check it isn't flopping about. If it is, you need to adjust the rear derailleur, or more likely, a longer cage one.

Lastly, was your back-pedalling derailment problem an inherent one or a developed one?

peanut

Dave5N said:
Basically, get it as tight as you can without it being stupid tight when it's on the big ring on the front (Right Hand Side) and the big cog at the back (LHS).

Secondly, put it in the smallest two rings, Front and Back, and check it isn't flopping about. If it is, you need to adjust the rear derailleur, or more likely, a longer cage one.

suggest you read the Shimano guide and do the job properly .:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Shimano chain and rear mech setup guide http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...RA/RD-4400/5TS0B_EN_v1_m56577569830607031.PDF

Dave5N

Über Member
Still smarting?

jimboalee

If your Dad has got a fishing spring balance, hook it onto the bottom of the derailleur cage and pull it along the line of the chain.

It should be 1kg.

OP
OP
Halfmanhalfbike

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Dave5N said:
Lastly, was your back-pedalling derailment problem an inherent one or a developed one?

Developed by me!

I had just stripped the bike down to it's component parts and reassembled them. It was OK before I did this:blush:

Dont really mind though as the whole reason I bought the bike was to use it as a test bike to learn some maintenance

Bike came from great place called http://www.thebikestation.org.uk Great place

Top Bottom