Chain Keeps Breaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bubas

Hello to you all. I have been searching the internet for a long time and I couldnt find any answer or somebody who has the same problem as me. Bicycle stores neither have a clear answer for me. Its been 6 years that I am cycling (cyclocross and road bike). I have ridden aproximately 25.000 km (15.500 miles). My chains keep breaking before I reach 2000 km (1242 miles). I clean them every 150 km (81 miles) depending the nature of the use. Both of my bikes have 11s and I use the chain Shimano HG601 105 11v. The lubricant I use is the Muc - OFF. The yellow one for dry seasons and the blue one for the rainy seasons. I check the gears of both bikes and the problem is not there - they are not worn out. Is that normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
What make of chain do you use?
Welcome to the forum by the way.
Hello to you all. I have been searching the internet for a long time and I couldnt find any answer or somebody who has the same problem as me. Bicycle stores neither have a clear answer for me. Its been 6 years that I am cycling (cyclocross and road bike). I have ridden aproximately 25.000 km (15.500 miles). My chains keep breaking before I reach 2000 km (1242 miles). I clean them every 150 km (81 miles) depending the nature of the use. Both of my bikes have 11s and I use the chain Shimano HG601 105 11v. The lubricant I use is the Muc - OFF. The yellow one for dry seasons and the blue one for the rainy seasons. I check the gears of both bikes and the problem is not there - they are not worn out. Is that normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Are you a powerful guy ? And where are they breaking ? I much prefer the powerlock method of joining chains rather than the pins.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Bubas

Bubas

Are you a powerful guy ? And where are they breaking ? I much prefer the powerlock method of joining chains rather than the pins.

When they break I just change them directly. I dont repair them. Only if I am on a trip and I dont have a spare chain. I am not very powerful. I would say average. 160 w. I weight 90 kilos.
Very odd.

In what way do they "break"?

Do you have a picture of the broken ends?

The parts of the attachments break and rarely close to the pins. Normaly they break as the foto I include.
What make of chain do you use?
Welcome to the forum by the way.
Shimano HG 601. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• broken-bicycle-chain-repair-cycling-201519722.jpg
    broken-bicycle-chain-repair-cycling-201519722.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 10

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
There is a slightly tongue in cheek article in Cycling Weekly this week by Dr.Hutch, bemoaning the 11 speed chain and the lack of mileage riders get out of them before they break, not wear out, but break.
There was also a rider in this years TDF who had a chain break, which is a bit of a rarity.
Have the chain finally got to the point, 11 speed, of being just too thin to get much mileage out of them?

There is a slightly tongue in cheek article in Cycling Weekly this week by Dr.Hutch, bemoaning the 11 speed chain and the lack of mileage riders get out of them before they break, not wear out, but break.
There was also a rider in this years TDF who had a chain break, which is a bit of a rarity.
Have the chain finally got to the point, 11 speed, of being just too thin to get much mileage out of them?

That TdF rider was on Campag I think ?

I've had 11 speed for the last two years on SRAM chains and no issues for me. Not much of a sample though.

If its always Shimano chains breaking I'd definitely try a different brand.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've had 11 speed for the last two years on SRAM chains and no issues for me. Not much of a sample though.
I can bolster your sample of one with my 12,000km (7,000 miles)* on 11 speed. I'm on my third chain (replaced when chain checker gets to .75%). No problems. I'm not entirely sure of what brand chains I've been using. I didn't note that down in my maintenance log. Naughty me. KMC I think.

Chain gets cleaned and re-lubed after pretty much every long winter ride, and regularly-ish in nice weather. Which reminds me I haven't checked the chain wear for a while.

So a sample of two. Woo hoo! :smile:

* Edit. I've just realised some of that "distance" has been done on the turbo. I can't be arsed to work out how much but it's a relatively small percentage. Although this period did include lockdown, when I was a bit of a turbo bunny.

Last edited:

nickb

Guru
In the 60 years I've been riding bikes that have chains, I've had plenty that have 'stretched' but I've never broken one.

I've never been heavier than 90 kg though and am currently about 76kg - maybe that's a factor?

I find 11spd wear much quicker than 10spd by a factor of 2! Used to get ~3000 miles on 10spd but often only 1500 on 11spd. That's 4 chains a year instead of 2! I'm waxing chains now in the hope of improved chain life.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm 100Kgs on a good day, before I eat breakfast, after going to the toilet but I've broken 2x 11speed chains in the last couple of years, but i Just put that down to neglect, I ride a MTB in all conditions & never oil, wax, lube the chain after a ride, every now & again I'll give it a clean, but no regular maintenance

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I commute on 11 speed and have worn to the point of needing to replace chainrings.

I've never seen a single chain break like that, let alone multiple ones at low mileage. It's not normal.

Something strange is afoot, but I've no idea what.

Top Bottom