Chain Length - Am I missing something?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
To keep it brief, I bought a new cassette (11-32), chain ring (44t single) and chain (8 speed) for my work bike. All like-for-like. I've just fitted everything, and the chain seems far too short. It's a long range mech, does this mean I have to specifically order a longer chain?

gavintc

Guru
Apologies if you already checked, but if this is like for like components; check the routing of the chain round the rear derailleur. You may have made a small mistake.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Apologies if you already checked, but if this is like for like components; check the routing of the chain round the rear derailleur. You may have made a small mistake.

No need to apologise! As it happens, I had checked that, and initially had made a small error, but it's definitely running correctly now.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Here it is. In the lowest gear, shouldn't the lower jockey wheel be further back?

image.jpg

T4tomo

Guru
That does look on the limit. Assuming it will take an extra link or two when in top gear I'd be tempted to get another quick link and put a small section of the old chain, 2 or 4 links maybe, into the new one.

That said if it changes Ok as it is then you can just leave it, teh RD isn't fully extended in the picture.

fatboy123cycling

What was it like before you changed it?
Realistically you wouldn't you that combination - put it the other way i.e. Smallest chainring and smallest on the cassette and see if its OK

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
What was it like before you changed it?
Realistically you wouldn't you that combination - put it the other way i.e. Smallest chainring and smallest on the cassette and see if its OK

It's a single chainring bike.

Here's a pic from a few weeks back in the same configuration. Much difference do you reckon? Or could it be accounted for by the fact the old chain was worn out and stretched?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 63

screenman

Legendary Member
I take it that you checked the new chain for length against the old one. I would have though you will get away with it as there is still a tiny bit of take up left in the mech, I would also imagine that you seldom use that gear.

fatboy123cycling

You could lay the new chain alongside the old chain to see see how much the chain had stretched.
What's it like on the small sprocket on the cassette?

Brommyboy

Über Member
If a double chain ring, then with the chain tight around both largest cogs, front and rear, two links are added. For a triple chain ring, 4 are added.

Top Bottom