Chain length?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
John Ponting said:
+ style and/or length of rear dropout surely?

Nope, 'chainstay length' is defined by the distance from the centre of the bottom bracket to the centre of the useable area of the drop out. Straight forward on vertical drop-outs clearly, but with horizontal drop-outs or track ends it is the point halfway between the most forward and most rearward axle positions.

When referring to wheel base dimensions these two points are projected vertically down to, and measured along, the base line (ground). It becomes known as 'rear centre'. Front wheel to bb (measured horizontally) is front centre. Front centre dimension plus rear centre dimension equals wheelbase. Rear centre is a projection of, and defined by, the chainstay length, but they are not the same dimension. Unless your chainstays are horizontal! :ohmy:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Link here for shimano dérailleur / chain set up.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

bonj said:
Well obviously I know that, but i didn't know whether noodley did.

Thanks bonj, I had worked out that one myself. Christ, one aks a simple question and suddenly it's as if I need to be given instruction in "parts of the bike". The steery things shaped like upside down cow horns = handlebars? :ohmy::biggrin:

It is a bit slack here at work as well (unlike my current chain :biggrin:) and I'm gonna take the afternoon off to go for a spin up the glens. :cry::smile:

Top Bottom