Chain length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
OK - due to an unexpected windfall from Scottish Power, I had some extra cash so bought myself a new rear wheel with a flip-flop hub. I'm about to fit the chain and tension it; I've seen the recent post on how to walk the wheel back to get the chain tight, but is there a good way to measure the right chain length when fitting a new chain?

Is it just a case of sitting the wheel at the mid-point in the drop-outs (to allow for loosening/tightening) and measure the chain to be that length plus a link or two?

Cheers

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
As you say fit the wheel in the midpoint and then measure the chain that way. Walking the wheel and getting the side to side adjustment can take a little time but gets easier over time.

As an aid you can use a rubber door wedge between the tyre and chain stay to keep one side in position as you tighten up as sometimes you feel like you need 3 hands.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
4F said:
As you say fit the wheel in the midpoint and then measure the chain that way. Walking the wheel and getting the side to side adjustment can take a little time but gets easier over time.

As an aid you can use a rubber door wedge between the tyre and chain stay to keep one side in position as you tighten up as sometimes you feel like you need 3 hands.

Thanks 4F - I'll see if Tesco has wedges tomorrow as I think it might save me from a lot of sweating, cursing and swearing!

Top Bottom